VIDEOS: PlayStation 4 Revealed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTR

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2005
I thought they said that the PS3 will be around for a decade or so? lol. Imo, this is too soon

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
[citation][nom]Pyroflea[/nom]I don't understand how either of those videos even HINT at a new Playstation console. They appear to be for 3D rather than a PS4. Plus, why would they release a console when their current generation hasn't even been used to it's full potential?[/citation]

Huh? Did you not watch the 2nd vid where at the end it says "ps4 now testing"?

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
I don't understand how either of those videos even HINT at a new Playstation console. They appear to be for 3D rather than a PS4. Plus, why would they release a console when their current generation hasn't even been used to it's full potential?

G

Well every generation of Playstation represent a new media format: CD, DVD, Blueray. Unless they are going to full digital distribution I think PS3 will stick around. Besides, the hardware for PS3 is definitely not the limit factor in game quality in near future. And obviously, Sony is the last company that need to update their hardware.

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
I think its just 3d for PS3.Although Just because they said ps3 will be around 10 years with support. That doesn't mean another new PS system could come out.Just like when PS3 came out.There still supported ps2 for a long time.Isn't there new games still popping up for it here and there?

Who wants a system for 10 years anyways. 5-6 is long enough for me.With continued support after the new consoles comes out is fine with me.

Azimuth01

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
I'm sure sony has been tinkering and doing RandD for the PS4 since before the PS3 was launched, so it's not unreasonable to think they they are testing some hardware that could be part of the next PS4. These videos could have been released 2 years ago and they would probably be just as true as they are today. It's just something to keep the Sony name at the front of peoples minds.

haze4peace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Releasing a PS4 would make absolutely no sense. PS3 is just starting to hit its stride and I don't even know if they have made any money on it. This is total BS. Like the guy said above... its for 3D for PS3.

rockstone1

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007
[citation][nom]CoryInJapan[/nom]I think its just 3d for PS3.Although Just because they said ps3 will be around 10 years with support. That doesn't mean another new PS system could come out.Just like when PS3 came out.There still supported ps2 for a long time.Isn't there new games still popping up for it here and there?Who wants a system for 10 years anyways. 5-6 is long enough for me.With continued support after the new consoles comes out is fine with me.[/citation]

If we could get PC developers to develop like they used to- Consoles would either upgrade or be grinded to pieces of dust.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
I read this to say that ps4 is being worked on and will be out eventually, and will fully support 3d. As in every single game.

I'm also willing to guess they're getting on the motion sensing bandwagon. I didn't really see a controller in the second video. Matter of fact, it seemed like they were intentionally not showing his left hand while playing.

I also expect that out of any console manufacturer, Sony is most likely to release an unnecessary new console with unripened technology. They always try to sell new consoles on "cutting edge" technology.

I'd also expect that any ps4 purchased within the first 6 months will not last a year without some sort of complication.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
If it is the PS4 then you would think it would be cheaper than the PS3 when it first came out since they would undoubtedly use the cell processor and blueray player and just upgrade the ram and video card??

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
The ps3 having a ten year life cycle does NOT mean they have to wait ten years to release its sucessor. its not like they will scrap the ps3 the second a ps4 is released.

the PS2 had a 9 year life, but most of that was well into the life of the PS3.

i hope this is true, but i dont think it will be. i think it will be at least a year or two yet.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
If it's anything like the PS3 it's going to cost $599 and include everything including the kitchen sink. I just don't see a real reason besides upgrading the video performance to launch another console so soon given the old hardware was built years ahead to keep it a valid platform for both Sony and Microsoft.

If you ask me the next generation is going to be more marketing than actually performance benefits for actual gamers.

Status
Not open for further replies.