Virtualbox VM portable on a USB stick

I have a USB stick that, on a good USB 3.0 port, benches as fast as my SSD. What I want to do is actually run a VM from it in Virtualbox. Actually be able to plug the stick into home or office PC and continue where I left off. VB is running under Windows 10; the VM is Ubuntu.

As far as I can see, the volumes are in ...user\VirtualBox VMs\VM_name. This has the .vdi for volumes and a .vbox for configuration. However, there is also a ...user\.VirtualBox with XML config and logs.

As far as I can tell, the XML covers all of my VMs and can't be moved to the stick, because then I can't run my local VMs. Do I re-create the VM on my home machine with the same config but attach the .vdi? That gives me the storage, but what about the vm-specific .vbox file? And everything else I don't know?

====================================================

Short form: I want a VirtualBox vm on a USB 3.0 stick where I can unplug it from my work machine, carry it home, and continue in the same VM. Preferably one snapshotted so I don't even have to reboot it. How?

TIA

Solution
is this any closer to what you mean?

http://www.howtogeek.com/188142/use-portable-virtualbox-to-take-virtual-machines-with-you-everywhere/
Just one click past the mark, since I was thinking of installing VBOX on the machines that will use this, but this solution does solve the xml configuration issue since the xml and the data will be on the stick. Portable apps rock for, well, portability.

Tnx.

ex_bubblehead

Distinguished

Fairly quickly too. The VM files are either being read or written to almost continuously when in use.