VirtualDub: what codec do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tendercare

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2005
hello, I just started using Virtualdub, and I was wondering what codecs you use to encode your videos.

Is Xvid better than DivX?

I'm trying to convert my VCD into an avi; as an experiment, I chose Xvid. At first I let it run with the default configuration but the projected file size was beyond 700MB (I plan to burn the data to a CD) so I configured it to the lowest setting -- giving me a projected file size of around 620MB. Though I have yet to see if the resulting avi is of good or at least tolerable quality. :)

Ned_Flanders

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2004
I like Xvid more than DivX due to the fact it is open source - Quality wise they are about the same I beleive.

mlg

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2005
Open Source means that the source code is avalible for download and that everyone that has any knowleage about coding can help out with improving XviD.

To answer the original question:
It depends so much on what settings are being used, how the source (the vcd) looks and what filters is being used.

The question you asked is like asking what video game has the best picture. It depends just as much on the computer its being played at and what the lowest tolerated framerate is as it depends on the game istelf.

Short answer: Most of the times XviD gives a tad better quality, but by tweaking settings just a tad DivX may be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.