Virtualization software for Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running WIn10. I am looking for a free (preferably) Vvrtualization platform that will let me create and run VMs while Windows 10 is running as my main operating system. I have some old XP and 7 licenses that are valid and unused, so there's no need to discuss licensing.

A question: I don't know much about virtualization, even though I've googled the term and read a bit. Is there VM software that runs directly on the hardware so that everything you run is on a VM? Does this use hardware features that are available on some processors and not on others? Anyone got a link to a good intro or three?

Thanks.

Solution
yea vmware player will still allow you to make them. it is just a stripped down version of there bigger vmware workstation program which does require a fee. if you are just using it for basic use though vmware player will be enough for you

captaincharisma

Distinguished
yea vmware player will still allow you to make them. it is just a stripped down version of there bigger vmware workstation program which does require a fee. if you are just using it for basic use though vmware player will be enough for you

Solution

dominiccoombe

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009

dominiccoombe

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Since windows 8.1 microsoft has bundled its own virtual machine called Hyper-V.
Yuo needs to goto control panel, programs, turn windows features on and off.
under there you will find hyper-v and you just check it and then windows will enable it.
Its very easy to use and if you are ever planning on working with business related VM's then this is one of the solutions so the skills will be totally transferable

Status
Not open for further replies.