Virus and can't find dns servers

MattShebrert

Estimable
Feb 3, 2016
I stupidly downloaded a virus last night that I 80% clearest up today. Only things that is going wrong is that when ever I exit off chrome and go back on. All my previous tabs are gone despite being on continue where I left off. As well as this I'm getting ads on steam which ad cleaners and such are not removing. I was in the process of completing steps to rid of this problem but all of a sudden I cannot connect to dns servers on chrome (I can however still connect to the Internet as my phone works and spotify on my computer works and my laptop works). If you could please help with the continue where I left off, steam ads, and dns servers.
Thanks

Solution
By "Not really sure what all you were able to truly accomplish..." I meant that I was not sure about all of the things you had tried do. Apologies for not wording that more directly.

My suggestion:

Change your startup to minimize the programs being launched at startup. Boot with as little as possible being run. If ads stop then you know that one of the boot programs is responsible.

If the ads do not stop you will need to dig in deeper.

Go into Task Manager and look at all the apps, processes, and services that are running. Look for any that may be related to whatever you thought you were downloading when you downloaded the virus. May be disguised so what you will really need to do is look for anything that may not make sense...
Not really sure what all you were able to truly accomplish...

Check the default settings in your browsers. Maybe your home pages have been changed.

For the moment change your DNS servers to something other than chrome: Google perhaps (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4)

Check msconfig for any unwanted programs or applications launching at startup.

Run your Anti-virus software again if possible. Be sure the database is up to date. Download and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Create a bootable flash drive if necessary to boot from and run a virus or ad cleaner.

MattShebrert

Estimable
Feb 3, 2016
Not sure exactly what you meant when you said "Not really sure what all you were able to truly accomplish..."
Also. Homepage hadn't changed and reset default and nothing changed. I changed the dns servers to the ones you suggested but nothing happened. Also tried others that other websites suggested but still nothing.
Nothing in msconfig that are unwanted
I have run all the cleaning softwares aswell as malwarebytes a couple times before and after this.
The continue where I left off seems to be working and for the moment have no ads on steam. Not sure what of these options did that though. So basically just the dns left which seems to be the only thing that has changed that isn't due ton the virus as it was working fine after I got the virus off.
Thanks for you're help though

By "Not really sure what all you were able to truly accomplish..." I meant that I was not sure about all of the things you had tried do. Apologies for not wording that more directly.

My suggestion:

Change your startup to minimize the programs being launched at startup. Boot with as little as possible being run. If ads stop then you know that one of the boot programs is responsible.

If the ads do not stop you will need to dig in deeper.

Go into Task Manager and look at all the apps, processes, and services that are running. Look for any that may be related to whatever you thought you were downloading when you downloaded the virus. May be disguised so what you will really need to do is look for anything that may not make sense or otherwise not expected to be there.

Going through all of that will take some time and effort.

Google that program, process, or service to learn more about it.

The objective is to identify something that is either preventing your ad blockers from running or changing your configuration to allow ads.

Once you have found something suspicious disable or stop it. Do so carefully as there may some dependencies involved and your system may crash if you stop something vital.

If stopping something stops the ads then you know the source of the problem and can focus on removing it as warranted.

Solution