Virus risk?

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

What is the virus risk, currently, to Windows Mobile 2003SE? Presumably the
avenue of infection can be via files during synchronisation from a host PC,
by direct web browsing and e-mail attachments.

Is the risk real or imagined, and what protection is available?

Chris

--
Chris Watts
Please reply via the newsgroup/mailing list - that way we all benefit from
the discussion.
Private, or personal, messages should begin the Subject line with [NEWS] to
ensure that they pass my spam trap.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Chris Watts wrote:
> What is the virus risk, currently, to Windows Mobile 2003SE? Presumably the
> avenue of infection can be via files during synchronisation from a host PC,
> by direct web browsing and e-mail attachments.
>
> Is the risk real or imagined, and what protection is available?
>
> Chris
>

The risk is very minimal. IIRC, there are only two threats out there -
Duts and Brador, and they're not exactly "smart" viruses. PC viruses
aren't designed to infect Pocket PCs as the OS architecture is different.

So in a nutshell, the risk is real, but it's so low, it may as well be
imagined. As for protection, there are a number of solutions available.
Symantec AntiVirus for Handhelds, Airscanner AntiVirus and TrendMicro
AntiVirus all provide some sort of mobile virus protection.

--
Darius Wey
Pocket PC Thoughts
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Darius Wey" <darius.nospam@pocketpcthoughts.com> wrote in message
news:%237o3H3U$EHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Chris Watts wrote:
> > What is the virus risk, currently, to Windows Mobile 2003SE? Presumably
the
> > avenue of infection can be via files during synchronisation from a host
PC,
> > by direct web browsing and e-mail attachments.
> >
> > Is the risk real or imagined, and what protection is available?
> >
> > Chris
> >
>
> The risk is very minimal. IIRC, there are only two threats out there -
> Duts and Brador, and they're not exactly "smart" viruses. PC viruses
> aren't designed to infect Pocket PCs as the OS architecture is different.
>
> So in a nutshell, the risk is real, but it's so low, it may as well be
> imagined. As for protection, there are a number of solutions available.
> Symantec AntiVirus for Handhelds, Airscanner AntiVirus and TrendMicro
> AntiVirus all provide some sort of mobile virus protection.
>
> --
> Darius Wey
> Pocket PC Thoughts
> http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/

Thanks. That's pretty much as I had deduced so am grateful for your expert
confirmation.

Chris
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 19:06:32 +0800, Darius Wey
<darius.nospam@pocketpcthoughts.com> wrote:

>The risk is very minimal. IIRC, there are only two threats out there -
>Duts and Brador, and they're not exactly "smart" viruses. PC viruses
>aren't designed to infect Pocket PCs as the OS architecture is different.
>
>So in a nutshell, the risk is real, but it's so low, it may as well be
>imagined. As for protection, there are a number of solutions available.
>Symantec AntiVirus for Handhelds, Airscanner AntiVirus and TrendMicro
>AntiVirus all provide some sort of mobile virus protection.
The real area of concern for viruses is that your PPC could pick up a
virus and carry it into your computer when you connect.

A virus would be limited in what a PPC could accomplish, but the PPC
could certainly be used to deliver a virus to the desktop.




----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

| The real area of concern for viruses is that your PPC could pick up a
| virus and carry it into your computer when you connect.

however, current Virus protection on your PC should negate that problem.
And unless someone develops a virus for the PPC that can effect the ROM
image, the worst case cenario if you did get a virus on your PPC would be to
hard reset and re-install your apps.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 16:23:05 -0700, "KDE"
<knott_me@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote:

>| The real area of concern for viruses is that your PPC could pick up a
>| virus and carry it into your computer when you connect.
>
>however, current Virus protection on your PC should negate that problem.
Sadly, too many don't run Virus protection......
or don't keep them updated and running.

>And unless someone develops a virus for the PPC that can effect the ROM
>image, the worst case cenario if you did get a virus on your PPC would be to
>hard reset and re-install your apps.
How feasable is it to get a virus to write to the ROM image?




----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY