Vista Performance - Memory Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

yeah this is about 2 years too late! Is anyone actually running Vista with 512MB RAM?

evongugg

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Using flash memory for ReadyBoost is not a good idea IMHO.
Flash memory is slow. If you want performance, it is better to increase the RAM if possible.

G

This article is BS. Vista needs 2 GIGS MINIMUM, running with 1 gig is only for folks using it as a word processor and email system. Everybody else needs 2 gigs minimum to not have stalls or bottlenecks. Where is this geek getting his information for OCT 2009 article?

Also, your system can't utilize more than 3 gigs for a single ap with a 32 bit install of VISTA, all 64 bit installs can accomodate loads more ram per application. So for 32 bit systems don't install more than 4 gigs of ram. I say 4 gigs because most ram kits are sweet spot priced to move 4 gigs not 3 gigs, and in the next year or two many more programs will be dependent on the OS allowing a single app access to more than 2 or 3 gigs of ram.

sixbone

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
is guy on crack? he recommends free IP SLA Monitor as a tool to speed up vista, how does the ping time to some random cisco router help speeding up vista. if the clueless 512meg of ram having vista retard can figure out how to use IP SLA Monitor, then i doubt they would be dumb enough to have 512 meg of ram in thier vista box anyway and wouldn't need the tool anyway.

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
I'm surprised Tom's even bothered with such a poor article. Almost every notebook sold in the last 12 months has been installed with Vista 64 and offered with 4GB ram. The fact that the author even fails to acknowledge the differences between a 32bit and 64bit OS in his discussion of memory usage shows very poor grasp of technology. This is hardly an attempt to

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
...provide knowledgeable info to Tom's readers.

BTW: Please get a d@mn edit button for these posts, so that I don't get a half-completed comment submitted when I leave the page.

And when will we get our avatars back?

G

omg... please read the article if you are going to cry about it. The author stated it would be far batter to add more ram than to use readyboost, that's why the readyboost part was added at the end.
Sixbone: I just worked on a vista machine with 512 ram. It was an old dude who thought his computer was hot stuff. I told him his P4 with 512 was not sufficient to run his desired programs, he had a cow when I recommended he get another stick.
Jaydice: I've utilized 3.5 Gigs in my 32-bit install.. >_>

BlueCat57

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
The article seems to be very out of date.

Some things that appear to be missing:

1. You can use memory cards for ReadyBoost. I use an SD card. Not sure if it really helps. How can you benchmark it?

2. IE8 (yes, that's what I use) seems to FUBAR the system. Other than changing to a different browser is there a way to improve performance while using IE8?

Dan Dar3

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
"Physical Memory (on the Performance tab)
Free memory = Low is OK. (This is a new counter in Vista's Task Manger)

Free memory is usually below 50 MB because Vista uses most of the available memory for the cache (see above)".

Aw! that's not new, but that's not the point. It's not Vista taking most of the memory, it's the SuperFetch service in Vista. Some people might want to try stopping it if they feel it's trashing their disks (especially in lower powered netbooks/notebooks).

coltnrg

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
lol 512 ram on vista ya youl have to rune lowest visual settings it will look like plane windows xp and you can rune notepad thats about it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.