Vizio 70" E701I-A3 - Picture went out like *snap* that! No picture, have tried replacement boards!

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

farnell121

Estimable
May 17, 2014
My dad got this TV about 5 or 6 months ago and he has had no issues with it at all. The TV would probably be on for about 3 to 4 hours a day maximum. About a week ago, he was watching something and right before his eyes the picture went out (no popping noise or any electronic failure sound). Audio was going through Home Theatre system which continues as the TV speakers had been set to off.

When powering the TV on, The power light comes up and seems to be solid with a slight flickering. The back-light comes on but the display remains black. When using the volume buttons on the TV or remote, the back light will brighten and then fade to normal brightness. At this point I assumed the video board might be bad, and that there really wasn't any power issue. However, at the cost of the TV and the components only costing about $60, I bought a replacement power board and Video Board, none of which solved the problem.

My next bet is to buy a T-con board, but everywhere I've seemed to look doesn't really show that this will solve the problem. I have even tried resetting the TV via button combos but nothing seemed to do anything. Could the actual display have gone out?? Please, if anyone has any suggestions for us to try it would be much appreciated! And we no longer have the receipt to this TV so I dont think there is any way to return this for repairs. Thanks again!!

Starbucc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well I just joined the club!
Exact same thing! Nov 2013 purchase at Wallmart.
Picture fades to black but sound still works.

I sure hope that there is a lawsuit against these crooks.

Hazel ward

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016
Since so many of us are having this problem I think we are dealing with this problem I think it is a manufacturing defect. I called Vizio and was told it would be cheaper to buy a new television. I paid over 800 dollars for my 55" less than 4 years ago. I will contact the Better Business Burea and the Consumer Fraud hotline.

Sageman98

Commendable
May 4, 2016
SOLUTION: Don't Buy Vizio.
I have a repair shop for Electronics and TV's. Gonna put in my two cents: I have a Vizio E601i-A3 with the exact same problem. I have spent $160 trying to fix it plus have other good parts from a broken set just like it that work. Tried 2 other mainboards, 2 other power supplies, 2 other tcon boards... nada, nada, nada 3...
Everything tested plays sound with an HDMI source and backlights work. no image. Faint blue screen. I do believe it is something in the panel itself. Vizio had a recall on certain 2013 models but my serial number is not in the list. Vizio if you are listening I think all these models just are crap.
If you have one you might get a couple good years on it. Probably going to have to sell parts and scrap the set. I might pull out the LCD panel and vinyl letter the damn thing and make a lighted sign for one of my windows. Its good for that Vizio. It could even play holiday music at that time of year!

hemi0539

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016
Stumbled on this thread hoping to get some help. Bought a E701I-A3 Jan 2014 from Wal Mart for $1400. Just the other day the screen went out. Contacted Vizio and was told it will be better to buy a new tv and i dont want to waste money on a repair after reading this thread. I did a split purchase, 1k on a wal mart cc and the rest on another so i cant claim a credit card warranty claim. I own 3 other samsung's since 07 and they still work fine. I read somewhere here about a possible class action lawsuit, how can we get it started? i feel dooped by this purchase and will never buy another vizio.

Garsch

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
I purchased a E701i-A3E a little over 2 years ago and it failed. After contacting Vizio I found the product was recalled due to defective parts used in the manufacturing process. The failure involves defective panels that cause the TCON board to fail. Unfortunately, none of their registered customers were notified of the problem. The only way to find out about the problem is when your TV fails. If you go to vizhdtv.com it tells you that in warranty customers can get Vizio service to come into your home, pickup the old TV and provide you with a new replacement but if you are a out of warranty customers you have to call Vizio. Their fix is to provide $300.00 off the purchase of one of two models offered as replacements. The D70u-D3 for $950 or the E70u-D3 for $1,200.00 but neither replacement has a tuner as in the E701i-A3E. I think people should be aware of this problem when considering an E series Vizio.

Garsch

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016

Like many other 70" VIZIO TV owners your LED/LCD panel has failed because VIZIO built these TV's with defective panels and VIZIO is not standing behind the product. Go to VIZIO's own website and see the failures: http://vizhdtv.com/display-problems-with-vizio-e701i-a3-and-e701i-a3e-tvs/ Then after you view that, see how many other users like yourself have discovered this same problem with a failed LED/LCD panel. Go to the BBB at http://www.bbb.org/sdoc/business-reviews/audio-visual-equipment-dealers/vizio-in-irvine-ca-13209958/Customer-Reviews If your TV is in warranty, you are in luck but if you are like many others that had it fail just outside the warranty you are out of luck. You can however get VIZIO to give you a discount on one of two models as a replacement if you meet the requirements but you will most likely pay more than you did for your original TV and it will not have a tuner.

Victoria_21

Commendable
Sep 3, 2016
I had a 70" e series....pic went out but still had audio. Sent to a repair place that said it was unfixable. I contacted vizio after reading an article about common issues with the 70 e series. Long story short....sent vizio our receipt and they replaced the TV with a new one. They had extended their normal 1yr warranty also

Garsch

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016

Cudos to you, your VIZIO must have fallen within the extended 2 year warranty. Good for you, lucky it was not a few days out of that extended warranty then you would be with everyone else in this post. You know, if you purchase something that was manufactured with bad parts, no one knows how long those bad parts will last but the one thing for sure is that the defective part WILL eventually fail. If the manufacturer VIZIO in this case discovered they manufactured product with bad panels, the right thing to do would have been to notify all registered users of the problem. What is commonly referred to as a RECALL, or threy can do what VIZIO did, extend the warranty for an additional year and hope they last a little bit longer till they fail.

anclyt

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016
Same thing happened to my 70inch that I purchased in June of 2014. They told me I was out of luck and had to purchase a new one, however, I kept complaining and asked to talk to the supervisor's supervisor. He finally gave in and replaced my 70" TV in March of 2016. The "new" replacement TV again failed this month (September 2016) and Vizio, again, is telling me that I am SOL and that it'd be cheaper to purchase a new TV.. saying this time I should purchase extended warranty as well. I'm very reluctant to do so, especially having two 70" Vizio TV's fail on me in such a short time frame. I have asked to speak to their executive resolution manager and he agreed that it was unacceptable that this TV failed so soon and says that he will conduct a more formal investigation and get back to me in 2-3 business days. *** Finger's crossed***

beachgirl7

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016
For us, it was the soundbar! (see later) we had the same problem. First, we did the "power cycle reboot" (power off, then unplug TV (and soundbar), then hold power button (manual) ON the TV for 30 sec, then plug in and manually power on, then go away for an hour. The TV came back on and worked. I turned on the soundbar and put the soundbar remote to the correct mode (line, for us) and pushed the volume and it came back, too.

I was able to repeat the problem by having the soundbar remote in the wrong mode (we were using line, and it was in bluetooth) and keep pressing the volume button. Then the TV went black again, so this may have caused it. All I did then was turn on the soundbar and put the soundbar remote in line mode, and everything worked - sound came back, too, of course.

Cl4nd3st1n3

Commendable
Nov 29, 2016
Ill throw in my two cents here... I have another option for many of you guys that have this tv collecting dust in a corner. Also, have contacted Vizio with a "NO" reply. Now I work for Directv and they have an insurance with three levels, being $7.99, a $19.99 and a $24.99. Now the important one is the $19.99. Now you must have Directv Services activated to apply this insurance. There is a $50.00 deductible required for a TV claim. When doing the claim, Directv will attempt to send a TV technician out to your home, if non is available Directv will replace it, guaranteed. Now I too have the same Vizio TV everyone is complaining about and this was my best option. I have done two claims already, my 70inch Vizio and it got replaced with another 70inch Vizio 2016 model. Also, a 50inch LG plasma that got replaced with a 50inch Samsung 4k TV. to me this isnt a bad option. If you have directv already then your half way there. If you dont then youll have to be on a contract for two years and yada yada yada you know the deal.So do what you will.

RobGeezy

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
I had the same problem today. Vizio had a recall on the 70 inch and are giving me a new tv. I bought mine in April 2014. I'm happy with the service. New tv yaaay

spiralEyedGhost

Commendable
Dec 8, 2016
hey our Vizio tv did it as well, just went black.. we could hear it though but i did notice something i haven't seen anyone post, the smell..
there was a slight smell of plastic burning, kind of scent.
have any of you guys noticed that as well?
i started looking around the tv frantically after it went black, thinking there was smoke or something but nothing. the smell lingered for a little bit and that was it.

Status
Not open for further replies.