Vizio notebook RAM upgrade

seanmcc

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Does anyone know if the either the new vizio notebook or the "thin and light" can have extra memory added?

Solution

I was wondering the same thing so I called them up and asked one of their tech guys. He said that the ram is not soldered in the notebook and it can be replaced but if you do so then you void the warranty. You can also replace the standard hard drive but that also voids the warranty. The small included ssd though you cannot replace since it is soldered in.

srinath777

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012

I was wondering the same thing so I called them up and asked one of their tech guys. He said that the ram is not soldered in the notebook and it can be replaced but if you do so then you void the warranty. You can also replace the standard hard drive but that also voids the warranty. The small included ssd though you cannot replace since it is soldered in.

Solution

seanmcc

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
If by the small included ssd you mean the "32 gb of flash storage"? I was under the impression that this came from a stock hard drive solution like the Seagate Momentus. Apparently it is 32 gb on the motherboard then and uses Intel caching?

What does this mean if I decide to exchange the 1TB drive for a ssd?

srinath777

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
No I dont think its something like the momentus since I dont know of a hard drive that has 32gb of flash memory. The momentus only has 8gb. The 32gb probably uses intel caching so it will provide a performance boost for the mechanical drive. Im assuming that the 32gb is a msata and its on the motherboard. It really shouldnt matter if you exchange it for an ssd though since you can install the os on that and it will be pretty fast.