Vizio Smart TV Blank Screen Problem

Isaiah Basu

Commendable
Apr 28, 2016
Hello, I want to first of all say that I do not have the warranty for this TV as I did not buy it, but picked it up off the side of the street as someone was getting rid of it. However, I would very much like to keep and fix this one if at all possible as it would be much cheaper than buying a new unit.

Anyways, on to what the problem.
I plugged in the unit and the little Vizio letters at the bottom of the screen turn on dimly. When I turn on the TV they light up brighter as they should. The screen's backlight turns on making the screen light up, but nothing displays on it. Nothing includes the built in menus that can be accessed via the buttons on the side of the TV.
video of the problem: https://youtu.be/wgw8lKUHnb8

So I guess my question can be chopped up into little bits.
A) Is this problem able to be fixed?
B) Can I fix this problem myself or do I need a professional.
C) If I need a professional, who would you recommend?

Edit 1: This is the TV http://www.vizio.com/m550vse.html

Thank you.

Solution
Almost anything can be fixed. Its a question of: do you have the skill, time and equipment. Basic TV troubleshooting involves taking the back off, carefully measuring the voltages that are generated at the various points "written" on the circuit boards to determine which if any is the issue. IF you can't do that and are hoping for a "magic bullet", odds are against you... and were probably against the original owner, hence the reason it was on the street.

Further using your computer is a poor method of signal source, get a dvd or otherwise.... computers can have all sorts of "driver issues" trying to display on a tv.

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
Almost anything can be fixed. Its a question of: do you have the skill, time and equipment. Basic TV troubleshooting involves taking the back off, carefully measuring the voltages that are generated at the various points "written" on the circuit boards to determine which if any is the issue. IF you can't do that and are hoping for a "magic bullet", odds are against you... and were probably against the original owner, hence the reason it was on the street.

Further using your computer is a poor method of signal source, get a dvd or otherwise.... computers can have all sorts of "driver issues" trying to display on a tv.

Solution

Harley_6

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016
You've got a bad main board. That's it. You can get a new one online for about $40 and change it out yourself.

Hope you didn't listen to those guys yet and just try replacing that first.