Vizio Unveils 58-inch, 2560x1080 21x9 Wide HDTV

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Transsive

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Great, now you'll get vertical black bars on 16/9 content. And waste more the 50% of the sides for 4/3 content.
I guess it's only suited for extra wide movies.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]transsive[/nom]Great, now you'll get vertical black bars on 16/9 content. And waste more the 50% of the sides for 4/3 content.I guess it's only suited for extra wide movies.[/citation]
I was thinking the same thing.. My cable box can still only output at 1920x1080, so movies are fine, but now every channel has black bars no matter what.

G

[citation][nom]micky_lund[/nom]i want one....[/citation]
I can see this working very well for my new computer monitor. No more need for dual monitors to get the screen area I need! =)

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
I am so sick of aspect ratio's and all the little improvements. I swear they do it just to make a disposable tv. Lets see you have 4:3, 16:9, 16:10 (for computer monitors). Cold cathod (could have been led from the start), rear projection, dlp (which no one makes anymore so wont be able to find bulbs) 120hz., 60hz, they want 240hz for 3d, which is another crap technology. Not to mention they introduced HDMI late. So I paid 2500 for my first hd tv, with no hdmi.
I think that when they pushed hd through all the tv companies saw a way to do incremental updates to rape the consumer out of a bunch of money.

jdog2076

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]efeat[/nom]1) Why all the hate for vertical resolution? I know this set is for movie viewing in particular, but it seems all video displays are needlessly getting rid of vertical resolution. Vertical space is great for viewing and typing text. I use a 1600x1200 monitor and I'd miss those 120 vertical pixels[/citation]

Absolutely. I don't think most people realize that making a screen wider gives you LESS total screen area for the same diagonal measurement. This is what makes me irritated about the recent rise of 16:9 monitors. Thanks for chopping off a usable part of my screen so you can advertise the same diagonal while paying less for it. I would much rather have black bars while watching 16:9 content and still have the 16:10 resolution for everything else. This 2.35:1 screen makes that issue even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.