VMs and system configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnyb98

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2015
Good evening !

Please, I would like your opinion about the synthesis of my system and how many (max) VMs I could install.

My system configuration is as follows:

motherboard : ASUS M3N78
CPU : AMD PHENOM 9650 2.3GHZ QUAD-CORE BOX
onboad GPU : NVIDIA GeForce 8200 mGPU
RAM : OCZ OCZ2RPR10664GK 4GB (2X2GB) PC-8500 1066MHZ REAPER HPC EDITION DUAL CHANNEL KIT
As for hard drive, there is no issue about that. A SATA II of at least 500GB is one I can install.

What I want to make is install in a VM a Windows Server 2012 Active Directory server, and make some tests with it in a couple of other VMs with different operating systems, in order to learn Active Directory. As you understand, I am not interested in neither AD DS server VM nor none of the other VMs to have much software power. I just want them to be able to exist in VMs, and make the tests. In the other VMs out of server VM, I would like to install different operating systems, like in one Windows XP, in other Windows 7, in other Windows 8 or 10, etc. So, from the description of my system, and what I want to make with the VMs I gave you, in a VM's RAM, do you believe e.g. 128MB or 256MB or something else (min) would be fine in order both to work the way I want, and from the other side not to damage the system?

And, for the other staff, I must set the VMs settings. The basic I think of is to install a VM with the server AD, and two or three other VMs (XP, 7, 10). And the basic O/S of the system to be Windows 7 or Windows 10 (but my point of view is getting taller to Windows 7). As for the virtual software to be Virtual Box.

What is your opinion on this scenario?

How many max VMs would be fine for my system?

And, please, if it can be done without any problem for my system, could you please give me the basic settings of the VMs (RAM, HDD, etc.) ?

Thank yoy for your time !

Solution
Specs:
RAM : OCZ OCZ2RPR10664GK 4GB (2X2GB) PC-8500 1066MHZ REAPER HPC EDITION DUAL CHANNEL KIT

Desires:
"a VM a Windows Server 2012 Active Directory server, and make some tests with it in a couple of other VMs with different operating systems"

Question:
"How many max VMs would be fine for my system?"

Answer:
Maybe 1 VM, running really really badly.

Why?
Each VM requires its own RAM space. You have 4GB RAM.
The host system needs some to continue running.

So, let's split that 4GB RAM in half. 2GB for the host OS (which is what?), and 2GB for a single guest system...maybe a Win 7.
Both the guest and host will run really, really badly.

This is my system running 4 x VM's, and the host Win 10...

USAFRet

Illustrious
Specs:

Desires:
"a VM a Windows Server 2012 Active Directory server, and make some tests with it in a couple of other VMs with different operating systems"

Question:
"How many max VMs would be fine for my system?"

Answer:
Maybe 1 VM, running really really badly.

Why?
Each VM requires its own RAM space. You have 4GB RAM.
The host system needs some to continue running.

So, let's split that 4GB RAM in half. 2GB for the host OS (which is what?), and 2GB for a single guest system...maybe a Win 7.
Both the guest and host will run really, really badly.

This is my system running 4 x VM's, and the host Win 10 Pro.
G7Ro10y.png

Linux, Win 10, Win 10, Server2016, and the host Win 10.
Consuming 20GB out of the full 32GB RAM.

What you're trying to do with your current equipment will not work. Ever.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.