Vodafone: 3,000+ HTC Magic Phones Infected

Status
Not open for further replies.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Yes, it is not a HTC or Android issue; it's the employee that planted this on the cards, very likely for a nice amount of money.
ID theft is organized crime and pays well. And, when the little employee goes down, there will be other 10 to take his place.
Expect this trend to expand to other brands/carriers, as pretty much every company that sells you a memory card can have a weasel in it's rank.
At least, always format cards before first use.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
hahaha

that's like saying that anything the iphone lacks is "not the iphones fault, or apples fault.. but the employee who programmed that part of the OS is to blame."

crikey2

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]ben850[/nom]hahahathat's like saying that anything the iphone lacks is "not the iphones fault, or apples fault.. but the employee who programmed that part of the OS is to blame."[/citation]

I think its more like saying that if a car rental employee smears ecoli all over the insides of the rental cars and customers get sick, that Ford isn't to blame.

crikey2

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]ben850[/nom]hahahathat's like saying that anything the iphone lacks is "not the iphones fault, or apples fault.. but the employee who programmed that part of the OS is to blame."[/citation]
No, I think its more like saying that if a car rental employee smears ecoli all over the insides of the rental cars and customers get sick, that Ford isn't to blame.

G

Dont even get me started in europe. It's even more corrupted than our screwed up country.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
You all knew the day was coming... this may be coincidence, but it goes to show very well that the Anti-Virus Industry will have a product that you will want to install in your smartphone in the near future.

schwizer

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Am i the only one who's wondering when phones will come with antivirus? I mean if you use the phone to shop and bank online, wouldn't it be prudent to get a phone that can run antivirus?

lukeeu

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
[citation][nom]schwizer[/nom]Am i the only one who's wondering when phones will come with antivirus? I mean if you use the phone to shop and bank online, wouldn't it be prudent to get a phone that can run antivirus?[/citation]
First of all those phones had flashcards infected with x86 win32 binary viruses. It is physically impossible to run it on a arm Linux with a spooky clib. Only way to get into trouble was to connect it to a windows box and run the virus before your anti-virus catches it. There are very few Linux viruses and most(if not all) of them won't run on this platform. Only way to get Android infected is to create malware dedicated only for this system and find a way around Linux/Android security/permission system Hackers are fruitlessly looking for a way to do this for months in order to root their phones without flashing them and so far we had no luck. Any way the worst case is you'll get a infected app that has no access to other apps data and important system resources. It's far more likely you'll be screwed by a wifi sniffer, phishing app or site or from your pc than you'll catch a virus on an Android device.

lukeeu

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
The company is currently gathering a list of customers who received the infected memory cards in order to distribute "clean" replacements.
Or they could tell customers to format their memory card.

JD45093

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
[citation][nom]crikey2[/nom]No, I think its more like saying that if a car rental employee smears ecoli all over the insides of the rental cars and customers get sick, that Ford isn't to blame.[/citation]

Well E-Coli itself is not harmful. Only when it is infected with a bad virus does it do anything to people.

frosty7

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
actually, lots of people have E. Coli living in their gut. In north america, we seem to have a less aggressive strain of E. Coli than elsewhere, which accounts for why some people get travellers diarhhea on vacations. Of course, other strains exist in NA as well. If you get too much E. Coli or an "aggressive" strain, it can be quite harmful.

ajcroteau

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I'm guessing Panda is getting to launch it's Android Anti-virus, Anti-spyware, security suite of utilities for the Android phones...

Status
Not open for further replies.