Volume far too low on old Toshiba Satellite laptop

dorker

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
I recently got a hand-me-down laptop, a Toshiba Satellite from c. 2003.
It must have been top-of-the line back then because it weighs as much as my cat, has a massive widescreen, discrete graphics (?)...

Anyway, any sound I get out of the built-in speakers or the headphone jack is way too soft. When I hooked up some desktop speakers that have their own amp and sub and cranked the volume all the way up, I could barely hear anything.

So far, I have gone through all the volume controls, mixers, advanced settings, and even the Toshiba software on the thing. I do know it used to have a remote and perhaps the previous owner turned the volume way down and left it that way?

Basically, the sound output is abnormally low, probably as a result of some volume control I missed, but who knows..

Any help I would much appreciate!

AntiZig

Distinguished
the remote typically sets the same volume that you can adjust using the keyboard, look for volume keys or blue markings on the keyboard keys (they will work in conjunction with Fn key)

other than that, just to give you the run down list:
1. windows master volume
2. windows mixer, wave out volume
3. software that you are using to play music/sounds

drfunkshock

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012

thanks for that - had spent considerable time on software improvement, only to find the "fiddly little wheel" and now it is as it should be. Cheers for posting.

Saje

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012

Oh wow... so that only took me about 12 hours to solve. THANK YOU! *blush*

G

Wow!!!!! I have been trying to solve this problem now for months!!!! Finally an answer, and it was simple! :na: Thanks everyone!

Spitwell23

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
There isn't a fiddly little knob on my Toshiba Satellite C655 laptop... and all the settings are as they should be, I believe. Just found out that my son DROPPED it a little while ago. Is it possible that he could've jarred/damaged the sound card or something? The sound I'm getting can be forced loud but is distorted and sounds like its filtered. (vocals almost absent, blaring highs and treble, hollow and empty sounding) Hoping not to have to take it to Geek Squad... Anyone???