VPN Express suddenly crashes Tomshardware forums...

atomicWAR

Distinguished
Herald
Sep 4, 2007
I have been Using VPN express for a while now but starting the last week or so when using the forums I sometimes can't stay logged in, others it won't log in at all until i clear the cache and if I am in the forums logged in and I try to click the Tomshardware Banner to jump back to the main site, I get an 404 permission denied under a tom's banner telling me to ask for help. Well being the tinkerer I am I uninstalled Mozilla as well as VPN express. Found not using the VPN express tool bar helps but still causes some of the 404 issues I mentioned or being directed to prove I am human. Even though it was working fine I am inclined to think it is on my end because Mozilla goes bonkers every so often thus why I am posting here and not bugging the staff first. I am guessing Mozilla patched something they should have left alone or I am missing something when I tried to clear out the programs for fresh installs. Yes I did go to appdata and clear out the cob webs too. Anyone have some ideas or can confirm "it" , whatever that might be, is broken and I have to deal with it?

Solution
My thoughts on this subject. First, I'm not super familiar with VPNs or anything 100% certain. Second, I highly suggest not using a VPN while surfing Tom's. It's possible for a user to get banned, then if s/he raises enough issues get IP banned. If they were using a VPN service like you, it's possible the VPN you are using to show up as the banned IP address and cause issues for you. Third, Tom's has been having site issues for awhile. Long story short is the forum software has a lot of plugs and holes and leaks are being a bigger issue. We've heard that there is a software migration coming but in the meantime random errors will happen. What I'm trying to say is don't be surprised if a random 404/500 error happens. If the...

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
My thoughts on this subject. First, I'm not super familiar with VPNs or anything 100% certain. Second, I highly suggest not using a VPN while surfing Tom's. It's possible for a user to get banned, then if s/he raises enough issues get IP banned. If they were using a VPN service like you, it's possible the VPN you are using to show up as the banned IP address and cause issues for you. Third, Tom's has been having site issues for awhile. Long story short is the forum software has a lot of plugs and holes and leaks are being a bigger issue. We've heard that there is a software migration coming but in the meantime random errors will happen. What I'm trying to say is don't be surprised if a random 404/500 error happens. If the issues you are having only happen with Tom's it's probably on our end. Stop using a VPN to access might help, though it might not.

Solution