Wal-Mart Balloons DVD Player Recall to 4.2 M

Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
...so we have a 0.000003% chance of the machine overheating and a 0.00000016% chance of the machine overheating and causing a fire? Panic! One in 600,000 might catch fire!!!

If people are returning these does Walmart mind if I snag a couple? I could use a small spare DVD player.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Honestly, I'd encourage a class action suit against the manufacturer. Regardless of the pricing scheme, manufacturers have no rights to put users in potentially harmful ways. Sure "you get what you pay for" sounds just right but one would only expect it to break down, not meltdown.

radiowars

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]...so we have a 0.000003% chance of the machine overheating and a 0.00000016% chance of the machine overheating and causing a fire? Panic! One in 600,000 might catch fire!!! If people are returning these does Walmart mind if I snag a couple? I could use a small spare DVD player.[/citation]

"So far Wal-Mart has received 14 reports of the DVD players overheating"
A. Those are the ones that were reported TO walmart.
B. The players are all built with the same components- the manufacturers didn't just randomly decide to screw over 14 people (reportedly) by removing the heatsink or something. Most likely, a lot of those devices are potentially hazardous.
And, your numbers are wrong. If you're going to include all those zeros to try and prove you're smart, at least put a couple extra 3's afterwards to show that it's repeating.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
hmm... now we have apple's iGrenade, waltmart's DVD stove, Sony's TNT grade battery, Wii's flying wiimote dart, MS's red-eye 360....

hmm..... what's next?

G

I would imagine that it was only the silver ones that initially caught fire, so they where the ones recalled... I would imagine that further testing has shown the same fault in other models so they have since been recalled.

As for 'you get what you pay for' what snobby gibberish, its not like expensive things don't have faults now is it?

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]Wait.... what would happen if they just denied this (read: 3GS exploding).... Walmart should have taken a page out of Apple[/citation]

haha... yea.... I belive Walmart already tried... but...

appearently there is a hug difference between burning somebody's hand/leg, then setting a house on fire (w/ all police officers and firemen involved).

ArgleBargle

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]Walmart + $29You get what you pay for.[/citation]

"You get what you pay for" should only reference certain things such as functionality, durability, ability to resell, and so forth. Implying that a consumer deserves to have their safety compromised because they did not pay "enough" for a product is appalling.

indigoataxia

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
I would think any electronic device that sold 1 million copies would have a few duds that might randomly overheat or catch fire under normal operating conditions. The last I checked most QA is done by humans which arent always 100% all the time.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Thing is... Toshiba, Panasonic and SONY sell DVD players for $40~60 nowadays. Maganovox/Philips for $33~35 is easily better quality... come on, its $5bucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.