Wal-Mart to Offer Contract-free Cell Phone Plans

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spazebar

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
This is going to be huge I think. Because nobody could push something to as many consumers and get as much penetration as Walmart. What do you think the chance is that they're going to be losing money on the service? Maybe they'll be trying to make a profit of the periphery purchases. And if it's half as big as I think it's gonna be the big boys are gonna have to respond to avoid bleeding out to much.

G

Unlimit voice and text with 20MB data for 39.99 month for those of you dont need 411 or alot of data. I got this service from pagepluscellular.com which also using Verizon Network

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Love it. Hope phones and services are good. I need new contract too. I'll have to contact my younger brother who works for Wallmart in thier HQ in Bentonville Arkansas. He's one of thier Database/IT Tech guy there and should know alot more. I'll post any info if I can, unless its a confidentiality issue.

This is what you call a "Stimulus package"!!

Wallmart "Stimulus" > Bar rock Osama "Stimulus"

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
I wish Verizon had better coverage in my area... I get full bars with a Sprint networked phone at my house (I use Trumpet mobile which uses Sprint) and since I only use the phone occasionally, I spend about $20 every other month for $.10/min and usually don't even use that many minutes. However, when I had Verizon, I was lucky to get a bar and never lucky enough to be able to make a call. My house is a bit in the country, but obviously not that far out if Sprint can give me crystal clear service.

I just found out about Kajeet as well (who runs on the Sprint network), which aims at the teenaged market. My son wants a full keyboard phone for texting for his birthday, since he texts more than he uses voice. Kajeet offers full keyboard phones, plus unlimited texts and 150 voice minutes per month for $19.99. Pretty damn good deal if you have a kid who uses less than 100 minutes of voice per month, yet texts like it's going out of style. lol

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
Eliminating the 2 year contracts and hefty cancellation fees seems like a good idea. My own 2 year contract expired 4 years ago. I've been on a month to month plan ever since and Sprint has not raised my monthly fee yet.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
Nice, I'll take the $30 plan. I use about on average 200 or less minutes a month(And thats including inside minutes). I have to pay for web, and text's, and it costs me $45 right now(because I use neither). With this I'll get everything else plus I can grab the occasional text now and then.

G

Unfortunately this is just another TracFone system. I've been with TracFone for at least 9 years and until recently was very happy with the equipment and service. I 'upgraded' three months ago and for 2 months I was strung along and lied to. I'm afraid that TracFone is no longer the company it was when I first used their service. I was promised 30 compensatory minutes for all the trouble they put me through and still haven't seen them. Just another lie, probably. I still have over 700 minutes and am paid through the middle of next April. Unless they show me some serious contrition and a lot better service, when I either run out of minutes, or time I'm dropping the service and at least 2 of the 3 people I brought with me will be quitting too.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]montezuma[/nom]You are not in any place to tell someone how, when, or where to use their phones. Chances are Apple will get tired of screwing with AT&T's crap network and offer a CDMA and GSM phone. Hell, they might even offer a PCS(CDMA) phone for Sprint, if they are offered a better deal.As far as "jailbreaking"...I will do whatever I wish with the phone I purchase. iPhone owners are paying hundreds and hundreds of dollars to own the damned phone and they have the right to do with it as they please. If I want to submerge it in water, dip it in concrete, light it on fire, or blow the phone up, I am within my legal right to do so.I can install anything I want on the device, and I can alter the software already on the device. If you cannot deal with that, then I suggest that you quit being a little bitch "fanboy".[/citation]

[citation][nom]okibrian[/nom]Ahhhh, but they do. It's just they are only sold in Japan.[/citation]

@montezuma - If you want to destroy your iPhone then go ahead, nobody will stop you. The hardware itself is yours. As for the software programmed into the hardware (Mac OS X and any boot ROM software), you don't own it. You have a license to use it which expressly prohibits you from modifying it in any way, shape or form. Apple has the legal right to tell you what you can and can't do with their software and they can legally remove any unauthorized applications that were never distributed through the Apple store remotely. If a country's laws state it is legal to lock a phone to a specific carrier then Apple can legally tell you who you can and cannot use your phone with. Unfortunately you're not above the law like you seem to think you are.

@okibrian - Apple has never sold a CDMA iPhone to the general public. The only place these might exist is in Apple's lab. Neither Verizon or any of its worldwide subsidiarys that use a CDMA network have ever sold an iPhone to the public.

G

Contract cell phone prices will be falling next since all these prepaid companies Tracfone buy the infrastructure services from either Sprint, ATT, Verizon, or T-Mobile. Obviously if they sell the services to these Virtual cell phone providers for a price low enough for two companies to make a profit, then they will be able to beat the deal in some way of the virtual cell providers. In the past a contract deal was always a better value than the prepaid services, expect that to be true in the future since the cost of cell phone service is determined by the people that have the infrastucture not just a call center.

G

My daughter's IPhone has run without any problems on T-mobile for about a year. Jailbraking it was fairly easy with a little research on the net. For those who claim an IPhone must run on AT&T, you're wrong.

G

Straight talk is an oxymoron, I spent 5 days trying to port my phone number. Then they could not activiate my phone. They told me I could not use my phone outside my home zipcode, because this was roaming. I was 10 miles away from my house at work in Indianapolis. I pointed out to the CSR that they advertise nationwide coverage. I asked her if she knew what a zip code was, she didn't have a clue. I guess they dont have zip codes in India. I then asked her to refund my money, she stated they could not do that either. STAY AWAY FROM STRAIGHT TALK

G

Verizon is the BEST network with the BEST coverage. I've used it forever and couldn't be happier. I switched to the prepaid plan StraightTalk which is still on the Verizon network and I have saved so much money! For just $45, I get unlimited texts and calls. StraightTalk is the best thing that has happened to my family.

G

I see a lot of people commenting that they have a hard time activating their ST phones. I activated mine within 20 minutes with no problem and the phone works great. For $45/month unlimited, I'm sticking with this one!

kgome005

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
The Verizon network is the way to go and Smart Talk is the best way to utilize such a great network and a great price. Two plans, $30 or $45, offer you calls, texting, internet that the big companies don't even think about. Contracts? I don't have to worry about it anymore and I can finally say good bye to AT&T.

I was able to keep my number and get a phone at a decent price, but the beauty of Smart Talk is in its plans and convience. Walmart is doing it right in the cell phone department. You're going to save plenty of money in plans and time without the headaches of contracts - it's got my vote!.

G

does any one know if i get the straight talk plan is it still considered free verizon to verizon ?? most all my friends are verizon so if i get straight talk are they charged for me to call them ???

G

I am pretty sure that you will be charged airtime and your friends on the TRUE verizon network will as well. Just another reason that Verizon allowed this contract with Walmart to happen. I am trying out the ST service right now. Kept my Verizon to compare. And was afraid to port my # after reading of so much trouble with it. In fact, when I tried to activate the ST r451 on ST, I too talked with someone in India. 3 hours later as I was driving to walmart to return it I tried the activation process again (since they could not help me much over the phone) it took and started to work. Apparently tower providers rent out to lots of cellular service providers, resulting in seemingly crazy stuff. Wish I knew how it all works! I will probably return it to walmart on the 29th day of service. Service is ok but sound quality on that particular phone is not so good. Much worse than my 2 year old Samsung Hue. Wish I could get an Iphone, but ATT sux here in Texas if you are not VERY near a tower!

Status
Not open for further replies.