Solved! Wan Miniports appeared out of nowhere and I don't know what it is and is it safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigOleone

Estimable
Nov 28, 2016
I just recently looked into my device manager to update my network drivers to see if i can improve my network speeds.. To my surprise I see about 8 wan mini ports appeared in my network device column. I have no idea what are these wan mini ports and I have uninstalled them all but they keep appearing back into my device manager. Should I be worried about them? Are these safe to keep? But I have recently downloaded Logmein Hamachi to play some garry's mod with friends. I think that's the program might have caused the wan mini port thing to appear into my computer. but I don't know. Please help educate me this thing like I'm five. I would really appreciate for your time answering this forum very much! Thank you very much!

Solution
They are essentially drivers for various types of network connections. For example, the WAN Miniport (PPTP) adapter (driver) is used when making a VPN connection to a PPTP VPN server. The WAN Miniport (PPOE) adapter (driver) would be used when your computer is connected directly to a PPOE broadband modem. Removing these adapters (drivers) would break the functionallity that these adapters (drivers) provide. If you are worried try disabling them in Device Manager instead,as they are active hardware components Windows will always re-install them at the next reboot no matter how many times you uninstall them.
Hope this helps.
Regards

raykneale

Honorable
Oct 5, 2017
They are essentially drivers for various types of network connections. For example, the WAN Miniport (PPTP) adapter (driver) is used when making a VPN connection to a PPTP VPN server. The WAN Miniport (PPOE) adapter (driver) would be used when your computer is connected directly to a PPOE broadband modem. Removing these adapters (drivers) would break the functionallity that these adapters (drivers) provide. If you are worried try disabling them in Device Manager instead,as they are active hardware components Windows will always re-install them at the next reboot no matter how many times you uninstall them.
Hope this helps.
Regards

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.