Want to build a gaming laptop, wondering the cost

TheAnonymousGuy

Estimable
Sep 21, 2014
Hey, I'm looking to build a laptop that can more or less run games fairly well for a low-ish price, but I'm clueless where to start. I have a box of laptop parts that i got from a friend who told me there were about 95% of the parts from a Dell Inspiron N5040 and a N5110 including 2 4GB ram sticks and one 2GB ram stick, one screen (N5040) both motherboards, both processors, one battery (apparently it worked in both laptops), and one charger (N5110).

Any help is appreciated.

Solution
Unlike desktops, laptops are very individualized.

Desktop - ATX
Laptop - nuttin

Apart from RAM sticks and hard drives, there is little that can be exchanged between. Sometimes even among laptops from the same manufacturer.

ThatVietGuy

Distinguished
It will be a futile task.

A quick search shows that both models don't come with a discrete GPU, which leaves you with the sub-par Intel HD integrated graphics. Just that alone is going to cripple any hopes of gaming.

Laptops are just too specialized to be upgrading like desktops.

TheAnonymousGuy

Estimable
Sep 21, 2014
There's no way (that won't cost me an arm and a leg) that I cant take these parts and maybe buy a few to build a computer?

One extra thing (though its probably not important), my friend told me the N5110 ran games at a bearable pace, while the N5040 was slow.

ThatVietGuy

Distinguished
So, that basically takes away using the N5040 for anything.

In the end, you're just going to be rebuilding the N5110 and you'll still have a laptop with no discrete GPU for decent gaming. It can probably be used for a day-to-day laptop and, at most, VERY light gaming.

USAFRet

Illustrious
Unlike desktops, laptops are very individualized.

Desktop - ATX
Laptop - nuttin

Apart from RAM sticks and hard drives, there is little that can be exchanged between. Sometimes even among laptops from the same manufacturer.

Solution

TheAnonymousGuy

Estimable
Sep 21, 2014

OK then, thanks for the help!

Is there anything i can with these parts?

USAFRet

Illustrious

Well...now you have a friend who is smiling, because his closet now has less crap in it.

Try to make one working one. But it will still be pretty slow.

TheAnonymousGuy

Estimable
Sep 21, 2014
Well considering building one from old parts seems more or less out of the question, how much would it cost to build a decent one with parts i can buy of the internet, or would it be cheaper to buy a whole new laptop

USAFRet

Illustrious

You can't do that. There is no standard for laptop parts as there is for desktops.
A particular motherboard will only fit in a specific case, and only be able to use a small range of CPU's.