Warner Bros. Accused of Pirating Anti-Pirating Tech

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
I refuse to buy any new movies from Hollywood.All I do is find stuff used and look first for used in a local store.I hate Hollywood and will not support them nor any artist/label who has signed with RIAA.
Hassling legal folk,DRM,ripping off artists,and that is just a few of my reasons for supporting INDIE TYPE stuff.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Hollywood studio has one major flaw: the patent number filed in the complaint doesn't match the title. Instead, it's called "Making of a Data Medium Material for Information Intended for Reproduction."

Whoops.

To make things worse, "Motion Picture and Anti-Piracy Coding" was assigned to another patent granted to Warner Bros. Apparently the German studio may have accidentally stolen the Warner Bro's patent title while trying to sue the studio for stealing

Oh patents how you make shit funny.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
I just can't seem to refrain from laughing uncontrollably. I'd love to see a lawsuit filed and WB lose. That would just be the icing on the cake.

AMDnoob

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
It's ironic that I'm looking at the BSA ad for anti-piracy that's right next to this article... I think the irony complex of my brain (right next to the sarcastic major gland) just exploded.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Assuming that Warner Bros is actually guilty of this would this not mean they presented illegally obtained evidence for all that they have sued with such a method? Since evidence obtained illegally cannot be presented in court this could very well reverse many court decisions which would be disastrous to Warner Bros as they then can be turned around and sued.

Also this sort of behavior is nothing new. If I'm not mistaken it was Crytek that was found to have pirated game making software tools and yet they whined that their game should have sold more than 1 million (which isn't even too bad for a PC exclusive game) and whined about piracy.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]edilee[/nom]This is funny...really funny. I will add that music companies are using dummy music files as bait on torrent sites...how exactly would they prosecute you when what you downloaded wasn't actually a music file and in fact was a non functional dummy file? Not to mention they are the ones seeding the torrent in the first place LOL.[/citation]
Probably try to say you thought it was real so the crime was real or something like that.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
This is not the first time something like this has happened a spokeswoman for riaa anti-piracy campaign was caught with pirated songs on her ipod.

keczapifrytki

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
I cannot tell you how happy this news makes me. It will hurt them so bad to fall of that high moral horse. As Dr.Cox would say, I love this moment so much I would marry it.

G

This just proves they are out for themselves, not out for being legal. This is the true face of corporations like this.
This isn't surprising at all, of course. I mean after all, a lot of their own employees are responsible for releasing their material. It only logically follows that the same employees would hypocritically pirate anti-piracy software.

Status
Not open for further replies.