Warning: Comcast is Now Throttling Broadband

Status
Not open for further replies.

sstym

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
So if you enable throttling in your peer-to-peer application to limit the upstream bandwidth to 65%, they won't do anything?

It's kind of funny to see an ISP implement a measure that is both a PR disaster and completely ineffective.
It's kind of a bummer to have so little competition in bandwidth providers that you can't make the worst offender pay for that kind of behavior.

papalarge123

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
this realy is a bad time for the internet, although there is a way around it, drop the usage for ur upstream on the P2P software right down (to 10kb/s), if every body did this then it would slow down the downloading.
this would then stop any conjestion problems and the ISP's would be none-the-wiser, it just means a download would take 2x longer, but atleast u will get it and without throttling.

leetoranges

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Sigh time to lower my upload speeds D: sigh if only internet was like in korea, or Japan, i dont think they have any problems there with throttleing their customers, and i think that over there, they have alot more freedom on the internet rather than us.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
That's why I'm glad I live in NY, they can't limit your bandwidth if they are the only carrier in the area because then it's considered a monopoly.

Now here's the big question, what do they consider "extreme".

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
So you pay for X Mbps but if you use up more than 70% for 15 mins you get throttled. What a bunch of bullshit, we shouldn't have to put up with this.

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
this has been in effect since January, you ought to check your sources and read carefully. While this is not acceptable at all it is not new, the surprising thing is we didn't hear about it until just now. I've filed a complaint with the fcc and I suggest you all do so as well.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
I, for one, am glad I have comcast.

Bandwidth throttling could be a good thing. If I'm trying to play some online games and the neighbors kid is slowing down my local internet down by up and downloading 1 tb or more a month and preventing me from playing my games on the connection I'm paying for. Then throttle away.

I probably use 50gb a month.

uh_no

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
[citation][nom]doomtomb[/nom]So you pay for X Mbps but if you use up more than 70% for 15 mins you get throttled. What a bunch of bullshit, we shouldn't have to put up with this.[/citation]

i was gonna say....if they throttle you when you're using less than the bandwith you paid for, they're asking for a lawsuit...netflix had the same issue with cutting you off from movies if you rented too many in a month and they lost that one....i see comcast facing the same battle soon

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
If they didnt have such a monopoly i would use a different company. If only we could open up cable like landline phone service.

Also-- I agree its ludacris that we get penalized for using the volume purchased...

G

So if I read this correctly, I'm not allowed to use the bandwidth I have paid for ??..

ooo.. class action suit coming...

Lord-Ilpolazzo

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
[citation][nom]hillarymakesmecry[/nom]I, for one, am glad I have comcast.Bandwidth throttling could be a good thing. If I'm trying to play some online games and the neighbors kid is slowing down my local internet down by up and downloading 1 tb or more a month and preventing me from playing my games on the connection I'm paying for. Then throttle away.I probably use 50gb a month.[/citation]

How on earth do you use 50Gb a month legally.. sounds like you're the one clogging up your local internet

sidran32

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
I just read the PDF report. As they were previously using protocol specific throttling methods, which people were complaining adamantly about previously, I think this is a positive step. Congestion needs to be controlled. My only hope is that their threshold levels are correct. 70% seems a bit low to me, though the downstream is 80%. I also think that these should probably be more aggressively applied towards users who bought the higher tier services, as they would most likely be larger offenders of network congestion (though cumulatively, lower tier users can also be offenders, so they should not be exempt). Ultimately, though, they should work on upgrading their network so all users can have a better experience, without so much need for throttling.

wayneepalmer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Time Warner is also implementing something like this, too. I've noticed more and more dwell times on downloading video, a lot more website drops in the middle of streaming, hangups on opening pages, etc. As many pc's as it is happening on I know it isn't just something screwy on one system.

I've seen it on Youtube, Hulu, video-linking off Facebook (accessing FB, too), and a whole lot of other places. You didn't see this a year ago and it seems to be getting worse.

thomasjm52

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]homrqt[/nom]leave to where?[/citation]

Good Point! We have Comcast or Qwest and why wld I pay the same amount for less speeds. Maybe I'm weird but I have never had any problems with comcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.