Warning: Hotmail Passwords Leaked Online

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
The glorious concept of "password security":

1) it should contain random mixture of numbers/uppercase/lowercase letters, like 1S#aZcH14
2) you dare not write it down anywhere!
3) you must change it every 90 days

right...

princeofdreams

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
It was most probably a phishing scheme, I have noticed a lot of spam mail coming in recently telling you that you can check who has blocked you on Messenger.

As an IT manager I checked the sites that were linked into the e-mail, when you get there it requests you to enter your MSN/Live id and password, no doubt many people fell for this and did so.

There really needs to be more done about such attacks really, yes the consumer needs to be aware but these hosting services that are just allowing these sites to be built without taking any ID from the builder of the site are perpetuating the problem. It is simple really if you want a web presence, prove who you are, this would cut down a lot of these scams

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
@dingumf : I think you deserve some kind of prize. I've read your posts of the last month and not a single time did you write something without calling someone a effing retard, moron, piece of s***, and so on. Bravo. Very rewarding.

JDDMichael

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
I suspect this may be related to the "Click here to see who has blocked you on Messenger!" email that floated around a few days ago. Click the link, "log in" to the site, and there you go.

I don't know what people were presented with when they logged in, I am not that stupid, but I had several co-workers get hit with this and it immediately spammed out to their contacts list.

It was validating to see the uppity Tier 3 rep I work with get hit by this. I've always known she doesn't have the qualifications to be in the job she has, and for me this proved it.

bfstev

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
You can have the most secure servers or systems in the world, but that wont help you if you give out your "F"ing password.

Status
Not open for further replies.