Warning: New Wii Update May Brick Consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIstudio

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
I cannot beleive in this day and age that companies can screw up your equipment like this and expect you to pay for repairs. Even if your equipment is out of warranty.
It was caused solely by there action and nothing else.
I am sure in a court of law that this is unacceptable and borders on malicious!!!!!
Just my 2 quids worth

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]AIstudio[/nom]It was caused solely by there action and nothing else.[/citation]
I don't think the company is acting maliciously at the moment. Nintendo probably needs to do an internal investigation to find out if they're at fault or not. It seems that's the case and I believe that Nintendo, like Microsoft, will end up covering this issue on their dime.

shadowkazama

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Please tell me they are taking the "update" off line until this is fixed. I can see a class action suit beginning to boil, unless they start to handle it better. :(

erichlund

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Nothing new. Sony "bricked" my PS3, then wanted $150 to fix it. I spent the $150 on a Blue Ray player, and the PS3 is in the closet, where it will stay until I probably decide to take it to the electronics recycle center. Don't like the classic "game" controllers, so I'm just going to be a PC gamer.

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
So Nintendo pushes out an update, breaks it's own product (the Wii) and the consumer has to pay to get it fixed? I sense the beginning of a lawsuit.

Because if they can do this any company can. Your precious cell phones would become useless paper-weights and your computers becomes garbage.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Hmm two howevers in the last paragraph. I think I wouldn't write an article that way.

Anyways this update also blocks people out of the USB iso loader but I think people were launching that through homebrew channel.

Silly Nintendo will never learn though. Just let people do what they want with hardware they bought. My wii just sits because the updates make the piece of junk work worse every time there's an update coming out. There's much, much better consoles to buy than a wii.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
We're so upset that anyone out there would actually do something COOL with a Wii that we're going to poop out a shoddy patch to end any and all coolness... and if we brick a few Wii's in the process - well it's WORTH it!

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Bricked my Wii. Thought nothing of updating the Wii why in the world would I go online to make sure it wouldn't brick it before downloading a simple freaking update? I guaran-damn-tee you that I will not be paying a penny to fix this machine and if I don't have a working console back in my apartment within 30 days, free of charge, there will be a lawsuit.

Right now my call is being "escalated" to someone higher up because I put up a humongous stink when I was to pay to fix what Nintendo did to my console.

TheViper

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Nintendo tech support is telling consumers with out-of-warranty consoles that the cost of repairs will have to come out of their pocket

No they are not.
Hello,

Some of you have reported problems with your Wii console after updating to the Wii System Menu 4.2. The symptoms most people are describing usually occur when the Wii has been modified. However, some of you also mention your system has never been modified.

We'd like to help get your system working properly again. If you're experiencing problems with your Wii console after downloading Wii System Menu 4.2, and you believe your system has not been modified, please give us a call. If we find that you have a normal system and the update caused your system to not work, we'll repair it at no charge.

Please call our Customer Service Department at your earliest convenience, 1-800-255-3700. We are open 6 AM to 7 PM, Pacific Time, 7 days a week.

Thank you,
NOA_Tech_Jane

Come on Tom's. First the snide "Go Nintendo Go" remark and then flat out lying about the repair fee.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]TheViper[/nom]No they are not. Come on Tom's. First the snide "Go Nintendo Go" remark and then flat out lying about the repair fee.[/citation]

Well that right there is pretty f-ing ridiculous considering I was just told there would be a charge to have my console repaired. Maybe they need to send out that email to all of their customer service reps. Good to know at least but that would have saved me ten minutes of yelling on the phone.

G

If we find that you have a normal system and the update caused your system to not work, we'll repair it at no charge.

Translation: if we feel like repairing your console, we will. Otherwise, we will blame it on you.

Since they are making the determination of whether it was modded or not, and they are the ones that will have to pay to fix it, what motivation do they have to admit it wasn't modded?

-Dan

CChick

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
[citation][nom]koss64[/nom]Im thinking of getting a Wii for me and my girlfriend, ill definatly keep an eye on this.[/citation]

Your girlfriend should dump you for your stupidity

CChick

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
[citation][nom]erichlund[/nom]Nothing new. Sony "bricked" my PS3, then wanted $150 to fix it. I spent the $150 on a Blue Ray player, and the PS3 is in the closet, where it will stay until I probably decide to take it to the electronics recycle center. Don't like the classic "game" controllers, so I'm just going to be a PC gamer.[/citation]

You know there is a service mode right? smartass.

suckers cant handle console rofl.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
I have not updated mine, have not even used it for over a year, been sitting on the shelf in favor of my xbox 360. If I had updated it though and it became bricked I would be suing nintendo. There is a reasonable expectation from consumers that updates released by nintendo directly will improve their devices and no break them. They cannot expect us to pay for their mistakes.

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Well luckily i not having this problem. Although next time I'll be more careful before uploading the update right away.

ssalim

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
Never had a wii. It's a gamecube with new toy and face but hefty price albeit recent $50 price cut. I'll stick with my PC and X360.

Status
Not open for further replies.