Watching 3D: What's It Doing To Our Eyes and Brains?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

TG can you please stop putting tag lines such as "Three dimensional games and movies have entered the mainstream, yet doctors still have questions about stereoscopy’s long-term health affects." under the new heading for each page. I keep re-reading it. I'm sure other readers would have a similar annoyance. It should go under the main title.
Cheers.

Gamer-girl

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
There will be people more sensitive to 3D than others, I can't stand 3D on a small screen up close. i.e. computer monitor, even a 50-60 inch tv from 2-3m for only a short time ~ less than 30mins. But I am fine in the theater sitting anywhere from the from row to the back. Maybe there is a link to back-lit displays and projection type 3D?

xwidget

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
This article is incredibly sensationalist. I read through it expecting to see actual discussions on the topic at hand, but all I found was "we'll we haven't proven that it *won't* hurt you," as if it's trying to egg me on to believe that it's going to kill me or something. I'll be getting the Evo 3D tomorrow (well, later today) and I don't think this is any cause for concern. I've played Minecraft for a few hours at a time using red/cyan anaglyph glasses, and while it's a bit hard to get used to, I can simply take them off at any time and the only adjusting I have to do is to the increased brightness (since I was only letting small bits of light through the filters.)

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]xwidget[/nom]This article is incredibly sensationalist. I read through it expecting to see actual discussions on the topic at hand, but all I found was "we'll we haven't proven that it *won't* hurt you," as if it's trying to egg me on to believe that it's going to kill me or something. I'll be getting the Evo 3D tomorrow (well, later today) and I don't think this is any cause for concern. I've played Minecraft for a few hours at a time using red/cyan anaglyph glasses, and while it's a bit hard to get used to, I can simply take them off at any time and the only adjusting I have to do is to the increased brightness (since I was only letting small bits of light through the filters.)[/citation]
So, you're saying the topic isn't something we should be writing about? Sorry--I disagree. I think a lot of people are concerned about this, a lot of people are affected by it, and that justifies our coverage. While, after doing our research, we did not come up with a "smoking gun" linking 3D viewing to biological harm, I think we made clear just how little information scientists have thus far gleaned about the topic, and that more research is clearly needed.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]thome[/nom]TG can you please stop putting tag lines such as "Three dimensional games and movies have entered the mainstream, yet doctors still have questions about stereoscopy’s long-term health affects." under the new heading for each page. I keep re-reading it. I'm sure other readers would have a similar annoyance. It should go under the main title.Cheers.[/citation]
Thanks for the feedback.

dannoddd

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
I think this was a great article. I personally am not a fan of 3d, mostly due to poor presentation and high cost. I've never had any of the mentioned side effects, but I am glad to know what to look out for, a red flag you could say. I don't trust 3d personally, I don't have any of the products and do not let my 4yr old watch 3d content. I appreciate the summation of the research going into 3d right now and look forward to more conclusive results in the future. Thanks TG for doing this article.

dread_cthulhu

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Good article. 3D causes my wife to have severe migraines, which she's prone to anyway, but 3D aggravates it. I think she only caught half of avatar when her dad decided to take us to it in 3D. That, and other effects are why we need to pursue hologram research! Then our brain won't know the difference between the holo-actors and real people! (thinking multiple projectors at different points in a dedicated holo-room sort of like the holodeck. Maybe without the interactive part just yet....)

rad666

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
3D, irregardless of where I see it (a TV or a theater screen), gives me migraines. It's doing something my brain doesn't like, and I know I'm not the only one.

cwolf78

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I never experience fatigue watching digital 3D movies at the theater or using 3D Vision on a PC. As far as 3D HDTV's I cannot say as no one I know has one. I think the real problem is that, even with the newer digital 3D technologies, we are still using stereoscopic principles to accomplish the effect. It's really nothing more than a "parlor trick" as it were (albeit much higher quality). I agree with dread_cthullhu. What we really need is "real" 3D technology that produces real 3D photo-realistic holographic images. Anyone know any news about any companies working on this currently? I haven't heard anything... or is it simply not going to happen anytime soon?

Fox Montage

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
[citation][nom]Gamer-girl[/nom]There will be people more sensitive to 3D than others, I can't stand 3D on a small screen up close. i.e. computer monitor, even a 50-60 inch tv from 2-3m for only a short time ~ less than 30mins. But I am fine in the theater sitting anywhere from the from row to the back. Maybe there is a link to back-lit displays and projection type 3D?[/citation]
This makes sense. To focus on an object close to you requires to you use the muscles in your eyes, which can get tiresome after a few seconds. Objects farther than a few yards are effectively "at infinity" as far as your focussing muscles are concerned so both eyes point directly straight ahead. In this position, the eye muscles are relaxed.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
wow spammers spammed the life out of the comments lol...... AND TOMS FIX THE INABILITY TO COMMENT ON IE9 FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY!!

G

"But those are monkeys. While they are certainly predictive in many cases, they are not humans."

No, our brains work close enough that if we don't see malignant side effects in monkeys, we're going to be ok too, so stop spreading FUD.

To reverse this stupid quote, are you saying that if there were side effects then you also would say "Hey, sure there are side effects, but that's only in monkeys, so we don't know what would happen in humans", if that is the case, wtf did you run the tests for anyway? since no matter what they say you're going to claim that "hey, it does not apply if it does not let me spread FUD"?

Status
Not open for further replies.