Watching movies from my USB hard drive

Feb 28, 2018
Hi guys, I have a problem as follows:

I have a samsung smart TV and a 5.1 Sony home cinema connected both by hdmi and headphones TV output into the RCA (red and white cables) from the home cinema. The home cinema only has RCA connection and hdmi, no optical cable input. The TV has optical output, hdmi and the USB. When playing the dvd, I get amazing surround sound, I'm trying to get the same sound when I play a 5.1 movie that's on a USB hard disk connected to my TV. Is there a way to do this?

Solution
You need to have ARC in both the TV and HTS for the HDMI cable that sends video to the TV to also carry audio from the TV back to the HTS. Since the HTS doesn't have digital inputs you are stuck using the analog stereo connection and can only get Dolby Prologic surround sound.
Time for a new audio system.
I'm struggling to visualize your setup here....

Does your DVD player go into the home cinema, then 'out' to the TV?

Is your audio (when playing from the USB HDD) coming from the TV itself, or via the 5.1?

Provided your audio "out" from the TV routes to the 5.1, you should achieve the same audio clarity (assuming source movie on the USB is good quality)....

Feb 28, 2018
No no, there's 3 items. The Sony home cinema thats actually a dvd player too, the TV which is connected to the sony vie hdmi and RCA cable, and the USB hard drive which is connected to the TV itself.

So I can view the USB on the telly and play sound through the home cinema, but not all speakers work, only 3 out of the 5,even tho the movie I'm watching from the hard drive is a 5.1. When I'm playing movies on the home cinema via the dvd player it has, the surrounding sound works amazing, so I'm trying to get the same when I'm playing it from the hard drive through the TV.

Ok, it sounds like DVD sends Audio to the 5.1, then the HDMI sends the picture (only) to the TV. The RCA aspect is irrelevant in that scenario.

Going the other way, the USB (via the TV) is only sending 3.1 back to the home cinema.

Might be a limitation in the RCA you've attached, if it's not a limitation from the source.

Can you post the specific model numbers of the TV and Home cinema?

IF the Home cinema is ARC enabled (and the TV is too), you could remove the RCA from the equation, and the HDMI should be able to carry the 5.1 Audio back to the cinema...

drtweak

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
If there is NO audio output form the TV to the Receiver (HDMI is from the receiver to the TV) and you are playing a USB drive off the TV there is no way for the audio to get to the receiver in the first place unless you had a receiver that could accept a 5.1 input which it sounds like it can't because there is no Optical inputs on the receiver.

Feb 28, 2018

Hi, thanks for the quick reply the home cinema model is Sony DAV-TZ140 and the tv is Samsung UE32F4510AK , links below.
I tried taking out the RAC cable from the headphones and the sound doesn't seem to work through the HDMI only. I know that HDMI has the capability to play sound too, but this particular set up doesn't seem to work :( .

https://www.sony.ie/electronics/all-in-one-home-cinema-systems/dav-tz140#product_details_default

https://www.whathifi.com/samsung/ue32f4510ak/specs

Guys, cannot thank you enough for the help.

You need to have ARC in both the TV and HTS for the HDMI cable that sends video to the TV to also carry audio from the TV back to the HTS. Since the HTS doesn't have digital inputs you are stuck using the analog stereo connection and can only get Dolby Prologic surround sound.
Time for a new audio system.

Solution