water spillage, cuts off after 3 sec

Dimitar Pavlov

Estimable
Jul 20, 2015
Hi,
So my friend spilled some water on her laptop, which was turned off at the time.In her words, she let it dry out for 55 hours and now that we try to turn it on, there's that clicking sound and it cuts off after 3 seconds (btw fan's working, battery's charging).
I have it open and I can neither see nor feel any water whatsoever.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys.

Solution

A bad drive may cause a system not to turn on properly, but with that much water, it's very likely that everything on the thing including the CPU and motherboard are dead. The clue that it may be the drive is the clicking although that could easily be one of many things that are wrong. Especially if it was on when it got drenched and if it was attempted to be turned on...

HFC

Estimable
Jul 22, 2014
If you suspect any water remains, bury it in rice and/or carefully use a hairdryer on it, though by now it's probably dry.

Sorry to say, it's entirely possible some of the circuitry got fried. How much is "some" water?

Dimitar Pavlov

Estimable
Jul 20, 2015
Yeah, my bad, by some water I really meant that when she turned it sideways it looked like a beautiful waterfall ie it was, the way I see it, full of water. Did the rice and hairdryer thing yesterday.

#hang-the-9
I will try to back up the drive on a different machine if it's working, but technically if it failed the laptop should still at least remain on, right?

jhaydon81

Estimable
May 17, 2014
If you take it apart and remove the motherboard try using rubbing alchohol the highest percentage you can find and cue tips and dab it around all the connections and transistors that usually dries up all the water. I have done this countless times and 9 out of 10 times it does the trick.

A bad drive may cause a system not to turn on properly, but with that much water, it's very likely that everything on the thing including the CPU and motherboard are dead. The clue that it may be the drive is the clicking although that could easily be one of many things that are wrong. Especially if it was on when it got drenched and if it was attempted to be turned on before the water was dry.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS