Waterfox (x64) RAM usage vs Firefox

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boxfreind

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
What sucks is that, 5 or 6 years ago, I was using Firefox and I regularly had hundreds of tabs open, no problem. No lag, no crashes, it just worked. Sure, if I got enough open it would glitch out. But now if I get 50 or more going, it starts having serious lag. Heck, sometimes it gets buggy with 20 or 30 tabs. I have 16GB of ram and I am doing nothing but browsing.
Firefox has become bogged down with too much bloat. They keep adding new features, more pretty graphical shit, etc, when all I want is a simple web browser to display a webpage. I want my old FF back.

Edit: I believe there is another culprit to consider here however; extensions. What happens if I remove all the extensions?

boxfreind

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011

Well even WF is getting bogged down for me now. Especially on Amazon and Bing Image searches. Anyone else having the issue where the whole browser locks up while it's loading an Amazon tab and wont unfreeze until the page fully loads which takes up to 2 minutes or more?

BeckAltarr

Estimable
Oct 5, 2015
Waterfox seems to have a memory leak. No matter the number of tabs open it crawls up to 3 gigs+ useage in about an hour of being open and needs to be restarted, even though the total RAM useage of each tab doesn't add up to a reaction of that. Switching to Chrome as it desn't seem to suffer from the memory leak and bog not only it's self down but the rest of the PC.

Dessert Island

Estimable
Jul 24, 2015

I find your opinion biased and inaccurate. Why are people so opinionated on things they know so little about?

Waterfox is a serious project from honest, hardworking people and you're doing a disservice to those who are trying to find informed reviews. Waterfox is a veteran in the browser wars now, with years in development.

I'm typing this on waterfox and I find it a very fast and solid browser. Please do more research before writing a review; it's arguments like these that create unnecessary noise in the internet. Thank you.

>BeckAltarr
"Waterfox seems to have a memory leak. No matter the number of tabs open it crawls up to 3 gigs+ useage in about an hour of being open and needs to be restarted, even though the total RAM useage of each tab doesn't add up to a reaction of that. Switching to Chrome as it desn't seem to suffer from the memory leak and bog not only it's self down but the rest of the PC."

Waterfox uses about 1GB RAM on my MBP whilst FF uses less than half (400GB). Your case may be isolated but 3G seems excessive. My kernel sits at a a steady 1.2G though.

paladin_iii

Estimable
Dec 27, 2015
Cheez guys; faster is NOT the issue.
The issue is expecting reasonable response when opening a large number of /windows/tabs/.

To those thinking that a window or two, with a dozen tabs each is WAY more than anyone could want: Get a life; not everyone follows your paradigm !!! Those of use who work on multiple or complex problems need a boatload of tabs, divided up by windows (per topic).
I give you a "simple" example. I recently coordinated a trip to Spain, my brother/wife and me/wife, where we each live in a different part of the USA and had to fly to Bilbao and arrive at roughly the same time, pick up the rental cars, drive 2 hours to meet the house rental owner, etc. If you think you can do that in a dozen or two tabs, well, you clearly have not done that (understatement of the millennium!). One window for car rentals. Two windows for away-from-home house rentals.
Multiple windows for flights (one from brother's airport; one from mine multiplied by different airlines).
Each window contains multiple tabs (sites); Cars: Avis, Europcar, Budget, Hertz, etc., etc., etc.
Airlines: too many to mention; at least 20 tabs for airline data.
Many homes to rent, so another 20 or so in that tab.

Oh, bye the way, one is looking for lowest prices on each of these, as well as suitability. I.E. No 6 AM flights with a 7 hour layover!!!!!!

Oh, I forgot to mention ordinary work, simultaneously, at the same time.
-- Need brake job on car; look up reviews for repairs shops nearby.
-- Want to cook special dinner for friend, need beef specials at local supermarkets.
-- Love/Hate Firefox; look for something similar that doesn't die at 2 gByte.
And 2 or 3 other topics.
If you suggest a more linear approach, you have a VERY simple lifestyle. I.E. You don't get it.

Ad Hoc

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
I'm just popping in to point out that Mozilla just released a stable 64 bit version of Firefox. Maybe it's been mentioned earlier in the thread, but I just skimmed.

jefferson17

Estimable
Dec 28, 2015
I know EXACTLY what you mean - I also use tons of browsers and tabs, especially when I'm researching. Right now, we're planning a trip to SE Asia and I've got just tons of windows and tabs open for different cities, countries, activities). Firefox 64 just couldn't keep up.

So, I recently changed from Firefox 64 to Waterfox, using 64 bit windows 7 pro (quad core @ 2.5). With Firefox (64) I would only be able to open "so many" browsers/tabs before things started to slow down - around 4.5 GB memory. Right now, I'm running FAR more tabs/windows with Waterfox, am using 7.45 GB memory (out of 8 total) and things are still nearly as smooth as when using only 3-4 GB total.

THANK YOU, Waterfox!

Status
Not open for further replies.