waxing a laptop???

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormFalcon

Estimable
Sep 20, 2015
hello everyone this is my first post and i am asking about waxing a laptop. im really paranoid about fingerprints, i dont wanna wear gloves, or have to constantly clean it and i saw somewhere that if i waxed it, fingerprints wouldnt show up on it. my laptop is a sager np8651, and i think it has a brushed metal exterior. thnx.

Cleaning laptop case:

Cleaning the exterior portion of the laptop case can help keep the laptop looking new. The exterior case of a laptop can be cleaned by using a damp cotton cloth that has been dampened with water , BE SURE THE EXCESS WATER HAS BEEN WRUNG FROM THE CLOTH. It is not recommended that the exterior case of the laptop be cleaned with household cleaning solutions or "CAR WAX ."However, if there is a substance on the laptop that cannot be cleaned with water, we suggest using rubbing alcohol.

http://www.computerhope.com < Most info sourced from

naturesninja

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
Meguiar's does the trick on my motorcycles and contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer. Good stuff. Oh yeah, don't use it on your laptop. There are companies that make clear protection films for protecting automotive paint that they sell in sheets. 3M has quality some stuff that doesn't leave fingerprints or road grime, and comes in both matte and glossy.

StormFalcon

Estimable
Sep 20, 2015

does xpel extreme (also another protective film) leave fingerprints? The reason y im thinking about using that is u can order in small amounts. also because the surface is a brushed metal, will protective films work well?

naturesninja

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
I have no idea off the top of my head to be honest about their products. You can purchase the 3M stuff from a motorcycle parts website or dealership that is made to go directly onto the headlights or EXHAUST which can get hundreds of degrees hotter than any stable computer part, so it's good stuff. It's usually around $8-20 for a kit of 2-4 pieces that are about 1'x2'. Another trick is if you are willing to take your laptop apart, they sell the 3M film in a spray can that you can cover the entire chassis with ($), or use a ppg based automotive paint system for a custom look that won't leave fingerprints ($$$$$).

naturesninja

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
Just checked out the Xpel stuff, it looks like it has a few flaws that may not go over well on a laptop. It's pretty thick, and requires a painted surface to adhere (this is normal with a lot of these products due to paint etching) So, I wouldn't recommend it directly on plastic because it will likely start peeling shortly after putting it on.

StormFalcon

Estimable
Sep 20, 2015

thnx. i couldn't find it (the specific type u were talking about) anywhere, so could you give me a link or something?

Say you put a nice coat of wax or some other smooth coating. First time you pick up your laptop without being very careful it will slide out of your hands and onto the floor. At least they won't be able to tell who's system it was when they pick through the parts if you leave it there and run away.

StormFalcon

Estimable
Sep 20, 2015

what should i use? i obviously don't need a lot and i don't want it to be expensive. i also don't want fingerprints to show up at all because that defeats the whole purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.