WD 1TB External HDD not working on USB 3.0, But works on USB 2.0

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hashir Zahid

Estimable
Aug 23, 2014
As the title says, My WD 1TB External HDD is not working on USB 3 port, I mean the light is on I can feel it vibrate, But it isn't getting detected..

It was working fine a few days ago, Until there was a power surge and this problem started.. Since I had 2 USB 3.0 Ports, I plugged it in to the other one it it worked after plugging in and out several times..

Now there was a sec power surge and the same thing is happening again on the 2nd port! I tried plugging the drive in both USB 3.0 ports, But the HDD light just keeps on, Where as it's supposed to be blinking..

Now you might think that the problem is in the HDD, But it cant be since the HDD works fine on a usb 2.0 port..

And the usb 3.0 ports are fine because my mouse and keyboard work on those ports.. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Umair_25

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017
Hi all

I was having the same problem but changing the cable worked for me.

I was using the original cable that came with my wd passport ultra until it stopped working on usb 3.0 last night. So I tried using the the cable that I charge my phone with and it worked.

rockingthegreen

Prominent
Jul 29, 2017
I'm running with P6X58D-E motherboard.

Changed cables - WD HDD didn't work on USB 3. Worked on USB 2.
Updated the BIOS - WD HDD didn't work on USB 3. Worked on USB 2.
Discovered ASUS had a driver update specifically for USB 3 controller
(https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P6X58DE/HelpDesk_Download/)
Downloaded and installed driver.
WD Drive was on USB 3 was detected immediately after driver installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS