Website tried to download hundreds of files, need advice!

Jun 27, 2018
I was looking something up for a friend and so I opened a few tabs, whilst I was looking at one of the tabs I noticed that the final tab's heading was, 'Security Error!' and I also noticed it had downloaded a file onto Chrome, the file name was just a random bunch of letter + numbers (check screenshot for example). I immediately closed all tabs + programs and removed the file from my computer. I checked the Chrome downloads and this is a sample of what I was looking at: http://prntscr.com/k006ag . It tried to download hundreds (maybe even thousands since I couldn't scroll pass a certain point) of files however like the screenshot shows, all but the first one 'Failed - System busy'. I ran an Avast full computer scan and it didn't find anything. I'm still not 100% convinced I'm clean though so can anyone lend any advice?

clarkjd

Distinguished

You could download and run the Malwarebytes Antimalware tool...

Jun 27, 2018

Malwarebytes didn't detect anything...

clarkjd

Distinguished

Sounds like you dodged a bullet!
If you can find that one, odd-named file that did download, and delete it, you should be good to go!

Jun 27, 2018

If you really wanna know I was looking up how to get oil stains out of sandstone (not kidding btw)

mdd1963

Distinguished

It's a pretty cruel world out there when someone can't google something, and get hit with junk the first or second click....

SOrry for my assumptions! :)