Weird audio issue on laptop with headset

vinnievince

Prominent
Sep 1, 2017
2 days ago I ran into a weird issue on my laptop. Whenver I use my headset that I usually use (and which have always worked as they should on my laptop) the sound becomes distorted: it sort of crackles and speach seems to be filtered mostly, so whenever I listen to music I basically only hear the instruments and somewhere in the background I can hear the singing all messed up and at a very low volume. Also happens when I watch a tv-show which means I pretty much only hear the sounds, and none of the stuff that actually matters: what they're saying.

So I looked at the most obvious possible causes: the jack plug from my headset still works fine because the problem doesn't occur when I plug them into my phone. The jack plug in my laptop also still works fine since a different headset doesn't have the same problem. I checked and reinstalled the audio drivers, rebooted the laptop, checked if I had any audio enhancements activated in windows (which I did not), but none of these things fixed the issue. I really cannot think of any other causes. Hopefully you guys can help me as I cannot seem to figure it out myself.

Laptop: acer aspire 5750G.
Headset: JVC in-ear

vinnievince

Prominent
Sep 1, 2017
Well I feel like an idiot right now. For those interested in the cause: turns out that I moved a switch on the panel on my headset (which I assume is the mute-switch). Apparently my phone does not alter the sound but only my laptop does.