hammer326

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
In short, what on earth is this and how do I get rid of it? Tdsskiller, malwarebytes and Microsoft security essentials haven't found anything malicious, and I dont know where this is from.

Solution
It might be that.

Check what add-ons/extensions are ruinning in Firefox (drop-down in upper left -> Add-Ons) and make sure there's nothing funky there. Also, try another browser and see if the same thing happens there. That will help see if it's FF specific, or system wide.

If that doesn't get you anywhere, jump back to a restore point on your system (a lot of programs automatically create one, and most times, Windows updates do, too.) Look for a date before the problem started. Your files will remain intact, but you'll have to re-install any software you installed during that time.

Finally, if none of that works, download Malwarebytes, AdAware and SpyBot. After installation, reboot into safe mode and run them all...

hammer326

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012

It is, sorry for not clarifying. I am on Firefox(see bottom left icon), and adblock is up and running, yes.

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
I saw the icon, I just didn't want to assume that was the browser or even that this was connected to browsers at all.

Have you tried right clicking the pop-up, going to the AdBlock settings and adding it to the block list? (conversely, turn OFF AdBlock on that page, reload and see if it gives you more info as to what it is.)

hammer326

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012

I did, it is certainly not registering like an ad would and therefore I see no such setting when I right click. However, turning off Ghostery which I also use, yielded this:

and the link leading to here:
http://www.uni-suite.com/player/?utm_source=26109&utm_medium=4850572&utm_term=&utm_content=21536442&utm_campaign=7131047

I'm wondering if this snuck in when I clicked my way through a recent application installation. Where would I go to tear out garbage like this?

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
It might be that.

Check what add-ons/extensions are ruinning in Firefox (drop-down in upper left -> Add-Ons) and make sure there's nothing funky there. Also, try another browser and see if the same thing happens there. That will help see if it's FF specific, or system wide.

If that doesn't get you anywhere, jump back to a restore point on your system (a lot of programs automatically create one, and most times, Windows updates do, too.) Look for a date before the problem started. Your files will remain intact, but you'll have to re-install any software you installed during that time.

Finally, if none of that works, download Malwarebytes, AdAware and SpyBot. After installation, reboot into safe mode and run them all (sequentially, not all at once.) Trying a few virus scan softwares makes sure you plug the gaps - no piece of software catches everything.

Solution