Weird Electrical Like Noise Coming From Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

SevenJag

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016
Hi!

I just recently got a new laptop (Acer Swift 3). In quiet environment i can hear this weird almost radio-like but higher pitch noise, usually under some load, but not necessarily.

This is the audio clip (disregard the first 10 seconds, I accidentally bumped my phone into laptop)

You'll probably need to raise the volume to hear it though

https://clyp.it/2jcicgdm

I'm interested what is that sound (not the fan noise). HDD is also excluded. (SSD laptop)

Thank you for your help in advance

Solution
Well about the only thing you can do is return it and see if the new machine has the same issue. Personally I wouldn't want to rip a laptop apart to figure it out but that's just me.

Th3pwn3r

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
That sounds like coil whine or a fan. Are the speakers turned all the way down? Do you have anything plugged in at the time it's happening or are you completely wireless?

SevenJag

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016

The speakers are off and nothing is plugged in.

Th3pwn3r

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Well about the only thing you can do is return it and see if the new machine has the same issue. Personally I wouldn't want to rip a laptop apart to figure it out but that's just me.

Solution

JQB45

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
If you have to hold the microphone close enough to the laptop that you accidentally bump the laptop with it then the noise is not very loud. In all likelihood that sound is just normal fan noise.

SevenJag

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016
Well, i recorded the sound near the screen, fans are on the bottom of the computer on the lower side (nearer to me). And its very distinct sound, like this high-tech sound if you understand me, not some fan spinning.

donignacio

Prominent
Sep 4, 2017

2 month old laptop. exactly the same noise. do you have any further development with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.