lnwlf91

Commendable
Mar 5, 2016
Hey everyone, this is my first post here as I just found out the Max PC forums no longer exist? Anyway I seem to be having some issues with a laptop I just bought to replace my old one. Here is the specs:
ASUS ROG GL551J
Intel core i7 4720HQ Quad core 2.6HZ-3.6GHZ
16GB DDR3 10666 Ram
1TB 7200RPM Hard drive
Nvidia Geforce GTX 960M 2GB Dedicated graphics + Intel 4600 Graphics

I found this laptop as is at a local computer shop, Actually I bought two. The second I only checked if it powered on because i didn't have time to really look at it. but its been taken back due to a hard drive failure and other issues. This laptop for some reason came with a windows 10 64bit upgrade that wasn't complete.

Drivers were missing or the ones it did have didn't work. It did have a Recovery partition in which I tried to make discs for the original windows 8.1 that it came with but it would not access the recovery partition since windows 10 took over. So I did a clean install of Windows 8, I've yet to get it upgraded to windows 8.1 64bit, but the issue I seem to have is lately windows has been locking up completely. While playing Sim City I get a message that states the Nvidia graphics driver has stopped.

Last night I updated it to the 362 version that was put out a few days ago but no help. I've noticed that I have the most problems when running any game on battery otherwise it seems fine when plugged in. Any idea of what could cause all this?

Sorry for the length, thanks for the help!

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help in solving the issue.
- Start by doing a clean install of the graphics card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the Nvidia driver.
- Check Programs and Features as well and uninstall anything related to Nvidia.
- Once done, download and install the latest driver.
- Here's the link: nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
- Reboot your laptop once the latest driver has been installed.
- After the reboot make sure to set Nvidia as the default graphics card.
- Here's how: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2615/~/how-do-i-customize-optimus-profiles-and-settings%3F
- Do also change the power management settings of Nvidia.
- Here's how: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3130/~/setting-power-management-mode-from-adaptive-to-maximum-performance

Hopefully this will help. :)

When you say "new" laptop, does not seem like it's actually "new". Is this a used system? If used you need to find out the background of the system from the place you got it from. Likely it's a hardware issue with the video card.