Weird noise on boot, sometimes freezes

Rodrigo Cervantes

Estimable
Jul 3, 2014
Hello, this is my first time asking for help here, but I couldnt find a solution.

My Machine

• Dell Inspiron 15r N5110 (15.6 inch)
    Notebook Core i7 (2670QM) 2.2GHz
    6GB RAM
    TOSHIBA HDD 750GB
    DVD±RW WLAN BT
    Webcam
    Windows 7 64-bit
    GeForce GT 525M 1GB
So, 2 days ago I had a problem with my laptop, when I tried to start it up, it didnt. It booted for like 2 seconds then went off and started again *byitself* doing that untill i hold pressed the power button.

So i opened it, cleaned and that, but when I started it up again *after I cleaned it* it made a weird noise kinda like a woodpecker and also like a little speaker. The sound lasts for like 5 seconds (When I reinstalled windows 7 the sound happened in the loading windows files part also lke 5 secs) after that the computer sometimes freezes on loading screen, and sometimes gets to start just fine.

After I succesfully logged in the first time I surfed the webz and found that I was most likely my hard drive diying, so I went ahead saved my important files and bought a new hdd.

A Western Digital 1tb hdd, I replaced the hdd, started the laptop and booted a usb with windows 7.
But just when I tought it was gonna work, there the sound was there again this time after installing windows 7, each time on the *loading windows files* part.

So now Im really desesperate, I bought a new hdd and the nois still there, not just the sound but the sometimes freezing on boot thing.

I would gladly apreciate any kind of help and tips.

In advance thank you.

Solution

Ah, when you mentioned the woodpecker noise, my first thought was there was a keystroke being repeated. It sounds like that's the causality of the noise: either the keyboard is faulty, or the keyboard controller on the motherboard is. The sound happens as a notification to the user. If it's the keyboard controller, then that might explain the freezing, as the controller is located on the board. A faulty board can result in intermittent problems, such as freezing.

Rodrigo Cervantes

Estimable
Jul 3, 2014
bump for the day time users, and some other data

When its booting it sends enter for everything, like if i enter the setup menu before booting windows it automatically sends a enter and cant see the menu but continues with the windows booting

Ah, when you mentioned the woodpecker noise, my first thought was there was a keystroke being repeated. It sounds like that's the causality of the noise: either the keyboard is faulty, or the keyboard controller on the motherboard is. The sound happens as a notification to the user. If it's the keyboard controller, then that might explain the freezing, as the controller is located on the board. A faulty board can result in intermittent problems, such as freezing.

Solution

Rodrigo Cervantes

Estimable
Jul 3, 2014
You are the boss thank u very much. I unplugged the keyboard and it works now.
:( I bought a new hdd, oh well atleast its bigger than the one i had. Now i just need a new laptop keyboard :p Thanks dude really.