what are the diag/repair tools you guys use

ThermalM

Commendable
May 6, 2016
I've recently been put in charge of computer repairs for a cell phone/computer repair company and I'm not sure what all I need here. The guy who was in charge of it previously rage quit and all of the programs he used were kept on his encrypted external hdd. I'm very proficient with using software like this and troubleshooting, but I have no idea what programs I should be using. I'm looking for a way to do tune ups, virus removal, check for any issues with ram or storage, basically everything. Tons of computers come in, all with completely different problems so any advice on streamlining and software is greatly appreciated. My manager has asked me to send him a list of what I need and he'll get it for me. Additionally, I'm also the tech that handles micro soldering, so if anyone knows an easy way to find board model numbers and wiring diagrams that would be awesome too. Thank you to anyone who can help me with this

Solution
I work at a local shop myself and i repair computers. Here are some programms i use:

virus removal-> I use malware bytes as adware etc removal(most computers have this and not eal viruses) and usually microsoft essentials/defender or any other free antivirus like avast.

memory->http://www.memtest.org/ you can install it on a usb and run it.

hdd-> i use a linux live cd. this is how you do it. You go to the terminal, then "sudo su". After that you want to see the mount point. You press fdisk -l and locate the HDD you want to test for example /dev/sdb. Then you press smartctl --all /dev/sdb -s on . Before you do that prefer to have a maximized window to see results better. You are looking for current pending , offline and relocated...

slyverine

Commendable
Mar 4, 2016
I work at a local shop myself and i repair computers. Here are some programms i use:

virus removal-> I use malware bytes as adware etc removal(most computers have this and not eal viruses) and usually microsoft essentials/defender or any other free antivirus like avast.

memory->http://www.memtest.org/ you can install it on a usb and run it.

hdd-> i use a linux live cd. this is how you do it. You go to the terminal, then "sudo su". After that you want to see the mount point. You press fdisk -l and locate the HDD you want to test for example /dev/sdb. Then you press smartctl --all /dev/sdb -s on . Before you do that prefer to have a maximized window to see results better. You are looking for current pending , offline and relocated sectors.

For vga-> I usually run furmark and see if the graphics break or if it overheats.

cpu-> it's prime95 i think, never used it.

For system temperature-> speccy

I have looked myself for a complete system check programm but haven't found anything.Hope those help! Have fun!

Solution

ThermalM

Commendable
May 6, 2016
Thanks so much for the help slyverine. When people come in for a tuneup or something of that sort, what all would you recommend doing? I currently am working on a computer that has very high fan usage when the screen saver comes on. How would I go about locating the culprit in this scenario? I would assume its a program maxing out CPU, but I just don't know how to locate it

slyverine

Commendable
Mar 4, 2016
is it a low cpu pc?does it have windows 10? If windows 10 are left idle after 10-15m they start doing their thingie which takes a lot of cpu power, i have seen some laptops reaching 100% cpu. Maybe it's that and fan is running like crazy to cool the cpu. Try increasing the time of the screen saver to 30m or disabling it and see if it still does it.