What buy VR

luketoajojo

Prominent
Nov 1, 2017
I asked a question recently about gam8ng/programming laptop for my son, and your advice was brilliant, so I’ve another question!
I want to buy a VR set for my sons for Christmas. (I’m being generous as they’ve had a pretty bad year) I think I’m going for a HTC Vive as they’ll want to play online and with each other, and have steam accounts, and have necessary graphics cards etc on their PC. Will I need two separate sets? And is it possible to buy just the headset and hand thingies or do I have to buy two complete kits. I’m in the UK. So if you spot any deals I’d really appreciate it. Thanks

Mod Edit for Language

Solution
If they want to play VR games together, then they will each need a separate VR headset with the full kit (and a VR-capable computer).

The Oculus Rift is currently a better option than the HTC Vive, as the price of the Rift is £349. The Vive is £599 and only dropping to £499 on Black Friday as far as I can tell (or bundled with a couple games and a headstrap for £599). That still makes the Rift better value for money.

Sakkura

Distinguished
If they want to play VR games together, then they will each need a separate VR headset with the full kit (and a VR-capable computer).

The Oculus Rift is currently a better option than the HTC Vive, as the price of the Rift is £349. The Vive is £599 and only dropping to £499 on Black Friday as far as I can tell (or bundled with a couple games and a headstrap for £599). That still makes the Rift better value for money.

Solution

luketoajojo

Prominent
Nov 1, 2017

luketoajojo

Prominent
Nov 1, 2017
I know what you’re saying...it’s a bit like betamax and video...or maybe you’re too young to remember that conundrum! Lol but from what my lads say, the HTC Vive will be better as it has the backing of steam. Thanks for your answer though...maybe I can get a deal for buying two?!