What can be wrong with the cable/antenna port (where you connect the coaxial cable from antenna) if it's not broken off or loo

mearheart

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
Can the TV cable/antenna port be not working even though it is not broke off from the back of the TV or loose, but when connected by coaxial cable to antenna it says no signal before you could move the cable up or side to side or move the antenna a different direction & it would come in now only the he DVD works what could be the problem?

mearheart

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
Yes, but the port is not even loose at all, the inside of the port looks the same as the inside of the one on the antenna from what I can see, is it expensive to replace the port? It has a great picture/color and only a year old but if costly, maybe need a new one.

mearheart

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
I do, in fact the antenna is amplified and I plugged it into my power strip, it was extremely hot, even the coaxial where it connects to the TV was kind of hot, could it have damaged the port possibility?

COLGeek

Cybernaut

If getting hot, that implies a short condition somewhere in the circuit. I would not connect anything to that connector for fear of causing other damage.

mearheart

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
Definitely tried at least 4 different coaxial cables, 2 were rg6 plus the one that came with it, was thin and got a lot of interference for example every time a car past, I'm sure I did not help the problem always trying to get the picture to come in. I will try the antenna & cables on my roommates TV when she wakes up.

mearheart

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
You think it could be the antenna that is bad, since it was the plug that was really hot, maybe that is why the TV isn't getting any signal, maybe I should borrow her antenna to see if my TV gets signal.

grimfox

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
If you haven't already take the amp out of your circuit as a powered amp could be the source of your heat. also take the powerstrip out of the circuit since that could also be a point of failure although less likely as most power strips have very basic passive protection that wouldn't likely cause a short.