Question What do I need in a streaming device?

Hans L

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
Let me give this as an illustration of my question:

Cinematic Dolby Vision® picture & Dolby Atmos® sound

If my TV supports this, does my streaming device (e.g., a ROKU device) also need to support it?

And more generally, what features in a TV does an external streaming device need to support?

Thanks,

Hans L

Hans L

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
It has been suggested by the moderator that I have gotten no response to my question above because, perhaps, the question is not clear or detailed enough. Honestly, I cannot think of a simpler way to ask it. But let me try:

If my TV supports the feature Cinematic Dolby Vision® picture, will my ROKU streaming device also have to support it for the feature to be implemented.

Or, if my TV supports Cinematic Dolby Vision® picture, but my ROKY streaming device does not, will I then not benefit from Cinematic Dolby Vision® picture?

Thank you!

Hans L

As I understand it, Cinematic Dolby Vision is just a combination of Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. All components need to support Cinematic Dolby Vision in order to you to enjoy it.

1) The content must have it.
2) The streaming unit must have it or just Dolby Vision if a separate audio device is used.
3) The television must have it or just Dolby Vision if a separate audio device is used
4) Any separate audio device must support Dolby Atmos

As far as Roku devices are concerned, it appears that only the Ultra has Cinematic Dolby Vision. The 4K Streaming Stick I have only supports Dolby Vision (not Cinematic Dolby Vision) and apparently does not support Dolby Atmos.

If you're only concerned about the video, then I'm not sure.
I may be completely wrong on this. It's just what I've found in a few minutes of searching online.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: Reynod

Hans L

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
Okay, Wolf. You are probably right. As my wife and I want a clicker each, it's going to cost us $200.00, but, we are worth it! :) :) :)