What do you guys think of the Audio Technica ATH-M70x?

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
On the outside it just looks like a new paint job. Other than the listed specs, I'm questioning their value. At $300 they have some very tough competition. sennheiser 650s are at that price point so all I have to say is GL to them. They aren't going to win any value awards that's for sure.

Not seeing a large improvement in comfort either, which has been a weakness of the ath-m50 and m50x.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

No, it's the same for me too. When I first was it announced I was pretty excited but when I saw it I thought to myself "meh". You expect something like this to catch your attention but instead it looks like a moded m50x. For Audio Technica's sake, I hope it can really perform when it comes to audio.

physics1

Estimable
May 23, 2015
I have both the M50X and the M70X and can say that comfort is not a problem for me, as I can listen for several hours at a time with no pain or discomfort. This is in contrast to my earlier M40s that would hurt after a couple of hours of listening. When I A/B both phones on various genres of music from the same source on my music library, I notice substantial differences in the sound quality/character. The M70s are more evenly balanced across the tonal spectrum, resulting in a good soundstage where all instruments and vocals are readily apparent in the mix. The M70s are so detailed that recording flaws, tape hiss and pops and clicks on vinyl, are noticeable. Bass string articulation is tight, and well-controlled. When I monitor my electric bass with the M70s I get the mid-bass harmonics that don't appear as well with the M50Xs. With good EQ ing the M50Xs are great for bass heavy listening, whereas the M70Xs require only minimal bass boost to make them good for bass listening. The low bass boost on the M50Xs tends to overwhelm and mask the mid-bass frequencies, so that they can be lost. Round wound string growl comes out well on the M70Xs. Both the M50X and M70X have excellent transient response that allows cymbals, brushes and snare drum fills to come through beautifully. As an instructional tool for my bass playing, I like the detail, clarity and fast response of the M70X to reveal nuances in string technique that I'm trying to learn. I hope that this info is helpful to anybody interested in these phones.

talianapp

Estimable
May 25, 2015
You expect something like this to catch your attention but instead it looks like a moded m50x.
zKQQY0

Tonyxxl

Estimable
Aug 23, 2015

Tonyxxl

Estimable
Aug 23, 2015
Thanks for your clear comparison of the M50x vs M70x,

Your opinion is very usefull for me because I currently use the M40x for bass practice and I want to switch to either the M50X or M70X.
I have borrowed the M50x and compared it with the M40x for making my decision, but it's hard to decide which one is better.
I have noticed that maybe due to the larger driver the bass of the M50 tends to be some deeper with less saturation compared to the M40, but I found the midrange and treble of the M40 some more appealing especially for slap bass.
What is your experience with slap bass with the M70 compared to the M50? I am looking for a headphone that gives me deep well defined bass when playing fingerstyle and clear and crispy slap sound without harshness.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers, Tony

physics1

Estimable
May 23, 2015

physics1

Estimable
May 23, 2015

physics1

Estimable
May 23, 2015
Hi Tony,

I'm glad that you found my comparison helpful.

Assuming that you're playing a standard 4-string, you'll not notice much difference across the fundamentals(41 - 98 Hz). I play finger style with flats, that are fundamental heavy, and both phones sound good for that. With a plectrum you'll hear the string microphonics more clearly with the M70s. I don't play slap, but the percussive attack will probably be crisper and the mid-bass harmonics(200 - 600 Hz) with round wound strings will be more even and noticeable. There is no harshness or wacky resonances with either of the phones. I think that the M70s really shine when there is a mix of frequencies across the tonal spectrum, no segment dominates or masks any other part.

One of the things that really floored me was the difference in the bass tone on one of my favorite songs. There is a live recording of Cream's "Deserted Cities of the Heart" that has Jack Bruce playing a short scale Gibson EB-3, a growly bass. Jack liked mid-bass growl and often tried to accentuate it. On this song I never heard that growl, even with the M50x(maybe very faintly). I was hearing the string fundamentals that were dominating everything. It sounded good, but when I listened with the M70x I could clearly hear the growl.

The Guitar Center where I bought my phones let me demo the M70x on specific songs on my laptop's music library, so I could compare with the M50x. I have certain songs with particular bass lines that I know well and so it was a good test to do. If you are looking for some phones that would be used almost exclusively for monitoring your bass, I don't know that the M70x would be a good value relative to your M40x. For monitoring a mix of vocals and instruments I would say the M70x would be a great choice. One reason I like the M70x so much is that with just a little EQing I have a one size fits all headphone, good for general listening or analytical work.

I hope this helps. - Jim

Tonyxxl

Estimable
Aug 23, 2015

Tonyxxl

Estimable
Aug 23, 2015
Thanks for your answer Jim!

You confirmed my thoughts about the M70X that it's very good for analytical stuff but less for bass practice only.
I like both the M40X and my M50X for my bassguitar and for music listening as well, the m40X is more neutral and flat and the M50X has more bass emphasis. Both phones are very usefull and are attractive priced. In my opinion the M70X is rather overpriced in comparison with the others.
But thanks again for helping me with making my decision.

Cheers, Tony