What does no bootable device mean on laptop

ymines

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
Hello,

I bought my daughter an acer laptop not even a month ago. Acer Aspire 5733z-4851. One minute it was fine then the next it is saying "no bootable device" . What on earth does that mean? No i did not buy the extra warranty nor did she do a disc. You know the recovery disc. Is she screwed? Did I lose almost 400 dollars? Please help me. Tell me what we need to do.

Thank you for your help and support in this matter.

Yvonne

Solution
If you bought it using some sort of credit card you might lucky on returning it. Also the laptop should be under company warranty, so you can call acer for support.

Now moving to what you can do, check the HD on the laptop. Take it apart and see if its not fried or some thing. If you got extra HD try installing that and see if the system sees it. Make sure if you do take HD out, power is off and battery is not installed.

Personally i would call acer first and see what kind of support they can offer. Usually new laptops are under 1 year MFG warranty.

Good luck.

ymines

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012

What am I checking in the bios? anything that I do doesn't help. It keeps saying --No bootable device--insert boot disk and
press any key--. What boot disk? We didn't get any software in the box. I am really lost.

devils_advocate

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
If you bought it using some sort of credit card you might lucky on returning it. Also the laptop should be under company warranty, so you can call acer for support.

Now moving to what you can do, check the HD on the laptop. Take it apart and see if its not fried or some thing. If you got extra HD try installing that and see if the system sees it. Make sure if you do take HD out, power is off and battery is not installed.

Personally i would call acer first and see what kind of support they can offer. Usually new laptops are under 1 year MFG warranty.

Good luck.

Solution

ymines

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to respond. After doing some searches I understand that it can't see my hard drive, just dont know
why. I have done the F2 key. But have no idea what to do. I did disable everything in the boot section. It shows the HDD. I am thinking that means hard drive device. All I can say is HELP!!!!!! I really don't want to pay the extra for a comp. tech. to fix it for her. Just please tell me what do. perferably in step by step directions. :eek: because i am not computer savvy. Just know enough to get by.
Thanks again for any help and support.

ymines

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012

Excuse me for a second while I freak out!!!
1. check the HD---and where would that be located at.

2. take it apart--have no idea how to "take it apart"

3. extra Hd--what the heck

4. going to the Acer website now.

Hi :)

As you dont know much about computers take it to a Laptop repair shop like the ones I own in the UK and get THEM to diagnose the problem, it should only cost you a half hours labour charges...(we charge £27.50 as an example)

Then once you KNOW precisely what the problem is.....get in touch with whoever you bought it from and DEMAND a replacement...

All the best Brett :)