What exactly does Auslogics DiscDefrag 3.4.0 (newest to date) install?

EvilHamster

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
Hi all,

I just installed (and subsequently uninstalled) DiscDefrag 3.4.0 (iirc the ver. no) and it installed some random crap. It changed my default search engine etc.

Now, I can easily undo these things ofc, but after a bit of searching on the web, i found that auslogics installed things like conduit software, a maleware. Indeed I found a so called search protect and uninstalled with with a proper uninstaller. It seems gone. The problem is that I have not found a single topic by anyone saying that discdefrag changed the browser to yahoo and installed search protect.

Hence it seems to be new and I am not sure if there was anything else that it installed that I missed. I had a look at the uninstaller and am running an antivirus but thing is, it may not find these small malewares that only change default browser search engine etc.

So anyone else had this? Does anyone know if there are other garbage dumped on my shiny PC? :)

Cheers guys.

chris_shadez

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
go to your uninstaller, if windows> start> search> change or remove a program
click the 'date' to organise by most recently installed, see what was installed during the time you install that defragger
I use iObit Uninstaller, more clearly identifies what programs or toolbars have been installed and easier to remove them
Most program installers run you through check screen to decline installing other programs and toolbars they bundle in or even jsut changin default search engines

EvilHamster

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
@ chris_shadez

First of all, thank you very much.

The thing is, I use Revo Uninstaller, and I did of course check if it saw anything, I even downloaded a new one, Geekuninstaller and checked as well, since they both are very different in their architecture. One checks registry (Revo), the other installs (Geek), (hence Revo i slower but theoretically better). The only problem is that I had many cases where Revo missed things I had installed. In fact, Revo pro, (which I dont have anymore) found more things then the free version, so I am no longer fully confident in it.

Thats why I was interested if anyone had used that particular software and knew for a fact that thats all it actually installed.

chris_shadez

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
Version 4.5.5 seems to be the latest version of the software
iObit Uninstaller is all i've ever needed, never failed me http://www.iobit.com/advanceduninstaller.html detects toolbars, plugin/BHO's too though your choices may be jsut as good, havn't used them as not need to shop around for others
Check your plugins/toolbars/BHO's directly from your browser tools to see if any may be the culprits
Try your spyware scanner to see if any spyware/adware has tangled along. Go to your browser settings and restore your original homepage.
From reading about it, it does seem to install adware which some AV/Antispyware do label as PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) which could be what you are suffering from

EvilHamster

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
Well again thanks mate. Yea, I am running all sorts of stuff right now, checking in the background etc. Even removing conduit is something many seam to have struggled with (http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/virus-spyware/f/3522/t/19538493.aspx), so the fact that i was able to remove it so easily makes me search for it even harder now :).
My Pc seems slower, but I think I am just imagining it. :D I am using Malwarebytes pro right now, with the deepest scan I could toggle. Then I will run avast full scan. If both come out clean, I will prob be done with it. Really don't want to do a system restore for this nonsense.

Anyways ty again. I am so annoyed with this shit. Usually I dont fall for this crap but I kinda trusted Auslogics for so long that I let my guard down. Will know better next time I suppose.

Cheers.

P.s. you are right about the version of it. its 4.5.5