What FPS Should I Be Getting??

Gavin_24

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017
I'm not so sure that I'm getting the FPS I should be getting on my laptop, and I have a buddy with lower specs than I and he gets way more frames than I do with the same settings.

My Specs:
Intel Core i7-7700HQ
16GB DDR4 RAM
GeForce GTX 1050 4GB (Not ti)

This is an Asus laptop. And I have tried so many thinks to solve this. I've updated every driver under the sun and played around in Nvidia Control Panel. Played with power plans etc. Updated BIOS. Nothing... Here's the Amazon link for my laptop: http://

Playing Fortnite (Duh lol) on Epic settings (V-sync disabled, 1080p) I'm getting 40-50 fps. Does that seem right? Is something bottlenecking me?

Thanks,
Gavin

Solution
Generally screen tearing can happen when the frame rate of your video card doesn't match the frame rate of your display.

This explains it well.....it also explains VSync....where you graphics card tries to match the refresh rate of your monitor.

There is also something called GSync....which is not explained in the article.

Think of Gsync as Vsync in reverse. I this case your monitor tries to match the output of your video card.
I'm not familiar with Fortnite...but that doesn't sound that out of wack with a 1050.

I'm only getting about 70 fps on planet coaster with a 1060 6GB at 100% usage.

What do the numbers look like as far as GPU and processor usage?

Gavin_24

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017

Sorry for the delay; Found out that if I can reach 60 frames, it won't go over (except on Fortnite, I've gotten it up in the 70s) Tested in 3 games. Haven't got a chance to see cpu usage however. I read somewhere that it's because my display is 60hz, it's locked at 60. Some guys are getting locked at 144.

Vsync will lock your frame rate to the display....IF the graphics card can get there.

So in other words....if your TV lets say is 60 hz and you have VSync enabled....you will never go above 60 hz. You can go below if your system can't get to 60 Hz.

Gavin_24

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017

I have it off in both the games And Nvidia Control Panel? I also was reading somewhere that it's a bug in Windows, and this guy said "full screen windowed" fixes it. Will have to try it.

Gavin_24

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017

There's also some contradictions with Xbox DVR, so I'll disable that. However I don't see how it could lock me at 60.

Gavin_24

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017

Explain screen tearing? I saw something about that.

Generally screen tearing can happen when the frame rate of your video card doesn't match the frame rate of your display.

This explains it well.....it also explains VSync....where you graphics card tries to match the refresh rate of your monitor.

There is also something called GSync....which is not explained in the article.

Think of Gsync as Vsync in reverse. I this case your monitor tries to match the output of your video card.

Solution

Gavin_24

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017

Gotchya, thanks! So it seems like Vsync is still ok for me, thought it's not lol.

Edit: Also, the full screen windowed worked. Getting upwards of 100 frames high settings.(only csgo)