What happens if I uninstall Seagates's discwizard

KaiserPhantasma

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
so I installed a seagate barracuda 3TB on my rig and at first didn't fully detected the entire space hence prompting me to install the the their application which made the rig detect the rest of the vacant hard drive space so what happens if I reformat the harddrive or SSD where the discwizard software is installed and I have put a lot of data on the seagate drive? does it disappear? and what if I disable the seagate application what happens to the data I have on the seagate harddrive?

MeneerWitte

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012

:hello:

Kindly I ask your attention.

Well, it's best to keep the software. The reason I think of that I have 2x 3TB HDD's, one with the OS on it what has being extended with the rest of GB of the drive. When the software is gone, the nother part you have by the software, it might be that you will not have the nother parts saves, nor will get it back.

I had to do a system reinstallation, I used Windows system backup. The power got cut off and everything was lost and when you want to change the disk size, try it with one HDD to test is. Put some files on it and give it a try.

Well, I had to download nearly 2TB software again. And I can tell you, that sucks!

So, what ever you do.....
Create first a backup or even a disc clone of it all and give it a try.

When you do so, let us known how and what! :)

Hopefully I let you known enough, that you will find the answers you seek! :)

Good luck and have fun! :)

Best Regards,

MeneerWitte

KaiserPhantasma

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013

thanks for the reply so simply put if the software goes haywire/deleted/whatever that damages it the data that occupies the hard drive that wasn't seen before the installation of the discwizard will be gone for good (from what I understand)?

I have the OS and the applications (including the disc wizard on a separate SSD so I guess its safe for now

but what if I migrate the HDD to another set-up that doesn't have the software? does the data on it disappear permanently for the reason that its software wasn't installed/turned yet?

MeneerWitte

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012

Kindly I ask your attention.

One thing is surten, when you do a partition size change, the data will be lost. I did this.
I thought it would keep the data (when enough disk space left ofcourse) and shrinks the partition.
I tried to recover the data, but no luck.

What my thinking about the software is, is that it should be standard come with the OS. And when switching or whatever the HDD/SSD without data lost, the OS will take care of it. That's possible anyway. So.............???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Why should it be possible to do it with smaller HDD's/SSD's and not bigger?
In fact it's all the same, the program only upgrades the possebility of the OS, nothing more. And like it looks like, it installes some files on the HDD/SSD so the system can recognice it.

I will loke into it agian, might be that there are more new answers on the net about it. I will get back and let you known if I found something or not.

Hopefully I let you known enough, that you will find the answers you seek! :)

Good luck and have fun doing it! :)

Best Regards,

MeneerWitte

MeneerWitte

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012

KIndly I ask your attention.

Next time, lets use Post and answer. The collum of text will only get smaller and smaller.

Try this at your browser search:

How to change a 3TB HDD/SSD without data lost?

How to change a big HDD/SSD without data lost?

How to migrate a 3TB HDD/SSD without data lost?

How to migrate a bid HDD/SSD without data lost?

At the first phrase you will find a lot of answers to go for. I'm letting you known this, so we bouth are checking it and might be faster to find the answers you need.

Hopefully I let you known enough, that we will find the answers you seek! :)

Good luck and have fun doing it! :)

Best Regards,

MeneerWitte

KaiserPhantasma

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
I asked seagate's support on facebook and this was the conversation

Question about the "discwizard" software...

I have a seagate barracuda 3TB and my mobo can only detect 1TB of it (I know I know install the software and enable an option there) however my question is what if my I uninstalled the the wizard? will the data I put on the 2TB that only got detected through software disappear? what about if I transfer the hard drive to another PC without the software? what happens to the data inside it?

If you uninstall or move the drive to a different computer, the data can still be accessed after installing the Capacity Manager driver. This driver that is also called "Acronis Virtual Disc" can always be downloaded from Acronis website: http://www.acronis.com/en-us/
Generally, it is always extremely important to backup your data on separate location, be it an external drive, another internal drive, or even CDs and DVDs. Having the data only on one drive is never a good idea.
So the drive will work and the data can be retrieved with the driver stated above, but there is always a margin for error, which can always be avoided by having a backup of the data.

so there is still a chance that even if I just move the drive to another PC and it doesn't have a software to detect the additional drive and then install it to detect it the data can disappear?

It may be possible as different systems can interpret disk space differently when connected. For the data sake, it is not recommended to place your entire trust in such processes. Always keep your data backed up securely in any instance, no matter the storage media.

so that anyone can also read...