What headphones do you recommend for FPS and Modmic?

Feb 15, 2018
Hi. I was thinking of getting a pair of gaming headphones for a while now. And I specifically mean headphones. Not headset.

I play games that require positional audio, but I don't need top of the line, bank breaking gear, just something that will get the job done and get it down well.

My budget is about 185 dollars.

More specifically, I would want a quality pair of headphones, that pair well with the modmic, as that is what I am getting. Looking forward to further suggestions!

Solution
I am thinking either the Audio Technica ATHAD500X or the ATH-M40x,that should allow you to also include a decent sound card like the Sound Blaster PLAY! 3 which uses SBX for surround (a bit better than the other vsurround techiques IMO) and still be in budget for the modmic.

I prefer open-back for gaming since the wider sound stage really improves vsurround positioning - since some environments are not suited well for open back and some folks just prefer closed-back for the isolation, so thought I would recommend one of each.
I am thinking either the Audio Technica ATHAD500X or the ATH-M40x,that should allow you to also include a decent sound card like the Sound Blaster PLAY! 3 which uses SBX for surround (a bit better than the other vsurround techiques IMO) and still be in budget for the modmic.

I prefer open-back for gaming since the wider sound stage really improves vsurround positioning - since some environments are not suited well for open back and some folks just prefer closed-back for the isolation, so thought I would recommend one of each.

Solution