What is a good Anti virus/Anti Malware

jpard1234

Estimable
Oct 31, 2015
I've been using Norton antivirus for the past 5 years, although have recently noticed that its using upwards of 70% of my CPU at times (about 1-2 hours every day). I've also recently reinstalled windows which removed Norton and I think now is a good time to rethink using it.

Right now I'm using Windows Defender, although i'm unsure how secure that is.

Would other programs such as Malwarebytes or Avast be better?

Solution
I can only recommend what I've been using for the past 12 years (and still using):

Comodo Internet Security: https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/free-internet-security.php?track=8234&s_track=7639

If you only want an AV product without the firewall, they have that too.

It's free but every bit as comprehensive as rivals you have to pay for (and I object to paying for internet security anyway).

Used to have Norton (NIS) only because it was a special offer price, but their renewal charges were a rip-off so after the first year I dumped it and found Comodo.

For an AV, the free Avast is good. I put it on my wife's laptop because Comodo has too many options & settings for her to fully understand, but I wouldn't hesitate in...

slyverine

Commendable
Mar 4, 2016
i use defender myself and from time to time i run a scan with malware bytes. I have many many years to get infected by a virus, it's all about how you use the internet.

MeanMachine41

Estimable
May 8, 2014
I have two anti malware programs. Malwarebytes and Spybot Search and Destroy which will allow you to Immunize your files.
I have one or the other active and regularly update their definitions and have never been infected.
There have been attempts and my Browser was hacked once. I fortunately caught it in time as they can spread.
It is the operator who introduces Virus or Malware and your best defense is you.
Never allow a registry change when Warned or open a program .exe that has not been verified safe.
I find Norton and Mcfee software very invasive and its like they are a virus themselves IMO.

I can only recommend what I've been using for the past 12 years (and still using):

Comodo Internet Security: https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/free-internet-security.php?track=8234&s_track=7639

If you only want an AV product without the firewall, they have that too.

It's free but every bit as comprehensive as rivals you have to pay for (and I object to paying for internet security anyway).

Used to have Norton (NIS) only because it was a special offer price, but their renewal charges were a rip-off so after the first year I dumped it and found Comodo.

For an AV, the free Avast is good. I put it on my wife's laptop because Comodo has too many options & settings for her to fully understand, but I wouldn't hesitate in saying that Comodo is by far the better of the two for my needs and the features I insist on having.

Solution

Griffsta

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
Also a Norton user myself i found that Norton is pretty solid compared to other offerings. in the past I've used Bit Defender, Kaspersky and Avast,

In all that time i have probably had the best time with Norton it's detection on viruses and protection is up there with Kaspersky only doesn't have the huge performance impact i had with using Kaspersky.

I find the paid software worth it over the free stuff, in most cases as with the exception of Bit Defender.

Well I've never been infected or hacked in all the 12 years I've been using the free Comodo (and that's despite visiting some er - dodgy websites. That has to say something for the product.

Of course, if you'd rather pay for security software & believe that it therefore has to be better than the free stuff, that's your business.

I've got better things to spend my money on (and bills to pay) whilst an excellent free alternative is available