What is a good virus protection software?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

starflyer

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015
Coming from owning a Mac the last 10 years and now building a gaming PC for my son. What's a good virus protection software that isn't annoying with pop ups and update requests? I'd prefer something just do it's thing in the background.

Thanks in advance.

Theminecraftaddict555

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014

Hmm very interesting, I guess forticlient seems like a good AV but again that can change anytime
Is it free? if it is I find it amazing then...I should probably talk to the professionals about this AV

Kritonios

Estimable
Jul 25, 2015
OK, I guess you kinda gave up. Don't feel bad, we all make mistakes or believe in wrong things and of course forticlient's success rate could change, just like other antiviruses. I remember qihoo which started very well and now it's just bad!

Theminecraftaddict555

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014

Not exactly, Professionals state that it needs improvement but has good phishing detection
Alot of what you explained are personal experiences but some are legitimate....It has good detection bit more or close to top AV's out there (BD, Avira, Kaspersky)

Kritonios

Estimable
Jul 25, 2015

Yes it needs improvements in many aspects, like parental control; it has to be on if you want web site protection.