What is causing clicking in my usb audio interface?

Jun 11, 2018
I have irregular popping coming from my usb interface. I have been using this interface for 2 years, but since a week it's been popping like crazy. At first I was afraid my speakers might be busted. But I'm sure it's the interface because there's clicks coming from the heaphone output too. The interface is a Tascam US-144. It's quite old and there is no driver support for Windows 10. I've been using the drivers for the US-144 MKII. I tried reinstalling the drivers. Reinstalling the drivers for my on board sound card. Diffrent usb cable, diffren usb port. Nothing seems to work. How can I figure out if this is a software problem or if the USB interface is just broken? And what can I do to try and fix the problem if it's not broken? The popping happes when I record mic or guitar in Ableton, not as much on playback in Ableton. It happens especially when I just watch movies on my laptop normally. I don't think it's a cpu/processing issue. I have 16GB's of ram and a quad core i7 processor. And I've used the interface on my old laptop, which was way worse spec wise. I also tried all latency settings, seems to not make any difference.

Help! :'D

Jun 11, 2018

No, it doesn't happen when it's in my onboard soundcard. So it's definitley a problem with the external!

Jun 11, 2018

No, I tried my guitar and a brand new SM 87. I'm telling you, it's the interface. I've done troubleshooting.