What is the best laptop for university ?

reuben751

Prominent
Jan 24, 2018
I want to help my sister get a good laptop for university and she has a budget of anything under £550, She will be only using it for writing documents and using google. Thank you.

Solution
I guess a good laptop as said before would be a macbook that's what my cousin uses. I use the Surface Pro for my school work. It's great for taking notes etc. Microsoft are also releasing the Surface Go which seems to be alright.

But I think Dell Inspirion 13 7000 as said by asoroka would be a pretty good one to use and it shouldn't have any issues using google or any of the Microsoft Suite Products.

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
I would look for portability an battery life.

What about software, does that have a separate budget.

What is she comfortable using.

I would recommend a macbook, mainly because it is a closed eco-system and easy to use.

reuben751

Prominent
Jan 24, 2018

Anything above windows 7 and probably something light, small An didn’t long battery life’s thaT can use google and word without crashing.

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
perhaps a surface pro or a Dell Inspirion 13 7000 .

So what I would look for is
16GB RAM (8GB Min)
500GB SSD (256GB Min)
13 - 15" screen (FHD)
i5 or i7.

From personal experience you need this to last for 4 years, so it will be better to get the extra RAM and SSD capacity.

Check to see what student discounts she can get, I know that Apple do give discount, and I think Dell do as well.

I still think a macbook will be a better option for someone who is not PC literate.

noyaus

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016
I guess a good laptop as said before would be a macbook that's what my cousin uses. I use the Surface Pro for my school work. It's great for taking notes etc. Microsoft are also releasing the Surface Go which seems to be alright.

But I think Dell Inspirion 13 7000 as said by asoroka would be a pretty good one to use and it shouldn't have any issues using google or any of the Microsoft Suite Products.

Solution