What is the best security software for PC?

ellman12

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016
Hello,

I am looking for the best security software for my new gaming PC. I want the best there is to protect it from nasty stuff. I already have Malwarebytes Premium 3.0.5, but I need an antivirus. Thanks for any help and suggestions!

Solution
If you do have Malwarebytes Premium 3.0.5 , the paid version you don't need an antivirus it's a complete package.

"MAKES ANTIVIRUS OBSOLETE" < Quote for their 3.0 Premium.

jimmyEatWord

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016
the russian Kaspersky is the most hardware intensive and paranoid , but i installed the zonealarm firewall and it was pretty good too , it even blocked connection requests from google ..

Avast-Team

Estimable
Mar 3, 2017

Hey, thanks for the support and kind words!

Avast Free 2017 also covers malware/ransomware/zero-days in addition to traditional AV protection, thanks to CyberCapture and Behavior Shield:

https://blog.avast.com/behavior-shield-our-newest-behavioral-analysis-technology

https://blog.avast.com/an-in-depth-look-at-the-technology-behind-cybercapture

These days, anti-virus/anti-malware tools have to do a whole lot more than just basic protection -- there's a lot under the hood in our latest version beyond this; Plus, we keep it light so it doesn't slow down your system (see independent test results)

virat8586

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017
This is a tricky question.
How are you define what is the "best" is? :)
For some people "best" means "quick", for some "not hungry for resources", for the others "look good – feel safe"...
The only adequate answer will be a competition.
Here is what i found:

According the Tom's guide best overall antivirus is Avira, it is free and scored 9/10

BitDefender 7/10 (best paid antivirus)
Avast 7/10
Kaspersky 6/10
Sophia 4/10
Webfoot 3/10

All personal experience is subjective and simply a trust_to_a_brand preferences...

Hope this helps.

JNetworks

Prominent
Apr 28, 2017
Hi Ellman,

MalwareBytes is a great scan tool, and it's free. +1 for having that. Since you've already been given a bunch of options, I'll give you another that I personally use and have had good luck with. COMODO. It's an anti-virus and firewall package, and works great if you take a few minutes to set it up. I'm not going to try and persuade you to use COMODO, but I've been using it for a while now and have had some good luck.

I would say look into some of the other programs that were previously suggested, and pick one that you feel most comfortable with. Remember, if you decide you don't like a certain AV for whatever reason, you can just uninstall and move on to the next one.. but I hope you grab a good one on the first try!

Good luck!

FixxeS

Commendable
May 23, 2016

As blackbird said, Malwarebytes premium is full package, it's antimalware + antivirus... you don't need an antivirus, malwarebytes is already an antivirus...
but when the subscription ends, I would vote for Malwarebytes free (which you lose the antivirus) and I would install Kaspersky. Kaspersky LAB are the best, they are security paranoid, Kaspersky is the best antvirus I ever used, but it's resource hungry, it's here where it loses a lot of points, you need a powerful computer to run it, but you will be very good with kaspersky.
but word of advice, if you know what you do online, you don't even need security software... I use windows defender for years, and I rarely get any virus. I complement windows defender with a 1 time monthly scan using Kaspersky's free tool "Kaspersky virus removal tool".
I use nothing else, no firewall (I don't even configure windows firewall), no VPN, nothing... and I'm safe, I even feel safer now after I read somewhere that most popular antivirus tend to be tracked by some virus, so those antivirus are more of a magnet for virus...